The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about setting up a nano tank. (one of the larger all in one setups) and id really like to drop a few sexy shrimp in, but im worried that they will be dinner for some fish that i plan on keeping, i was wondering if you think they would be ok with this list.

cleaner shrimp
pajama cardinal
yellow headed jawfish
firefish
royal gramma (i know he is really likely to munch em)
randals shrimp goby and tiger pistol

what do you guys think? safe or not so safe?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i think you might be ok but the gramma will but im not sure on the others i have a sexy and a fire fish with no prob.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
The cardinal will eat it in a flash. I wouldn't trust the gramma or the jawfish either.

I have a customer that keeps them with a firefish, no issues.

I don't think I'd trust a pistol either... and maybe not the goby.

They are kewl little shrimp tho... I love 'em.

Jenn

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I agree, you'll have to find something relatively benign to shrimp (like blennies, clowns) or forget the shrimp. I have two cleaners, two peppermint shrimp and a bi-color blenny and two misbar perculas and they all do fine. However, I can't put shrimp in my large reef tank because I have a hawkfish!

HHC

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone! i guess i have some planning to do.

The cardinal will eat it in a flash. I wouldn't trust the gramma or the jawfish either.

I have a customer that keeps them with a firefish, no issues.

I don't think I'd trust a pistol either... and maybe not the goby.

They are kewl little shrimp tho... I love 'em.

Jenn
i think the customer your talking about is my friend chris, thats where i saw the shimp and new i had to have some.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sexy Shrimp are way cool! But so are your fish. How big is your nano (you may have said and I missed it)? I keep sexy shrimp in a reef tank with some serious sexy shrimp snackers, and they do fine so long as they stay close to their host. How old is the tank? Have you considered going with a BTA or a small colony of Euphyllia? Just a thought. Here's an article that talks about symbiotic shrimp:

Shrimp for the Marine Aquarium - Ornamental Shrimp in the Reef or Fish Only Saltwater Aquarium

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sexy Shrimp are way cool! But so are your fish. How big is your nano (you may have said and I missed it)? I keep sexy shrimp in a reef tank with some serious sexy shrimp snackers, and they do fine so long as they stay close to their host. How old is the tank? Have you considered going with a BTA or a small colony of Euphyllia? Just a thought. Here's an article that talks about symbiotic shrimp:

Shrimp for the Marine Aquarium - Ornamental Shrimp in the Reef or Fish Only Saltwater Aquarium

Keep us posted!
Ooops! Just saw this was from last fall...lol...wonder what you did. :arg:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts