The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am setting up my first 90gal and set up S#%k's. All I have is water and Fiji Rock. I am going thru the cycle process and I am losing it. I know that you have to waite for the right balance of PH, Nitait, Amonea(bad), and Nitrite to go down befor i put a living orginizim in the tank. Its been two weeks and little by little the water quality is getting better. JUST keep waiting, just keep waiting......... I post some pix so you guys can see my pain and my passion.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
First Welcome to TRT! I don't see any pics did you post here or in the gallery? I don't see anything in the gallery either.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!! I see that u are in miami, you should look into the Florida Marine Aquarium Society club here. They meet once a month and we have frag trades every so often. Good people and they could help with any questions along the way as well

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Welcome to TRT as well. Try to stay patient, it can take a while for a tank to cycle. Use this time to learn more about reef tanks and maybe tweeking your plumbing system or protein skimmer. More info about the tank would be useful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I've seen lost of tank set-ups on TRT alone. but I still need more rock so I am plaing to by some this weekend... Thanks the the welcome I now this will be fun....

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
do u know where u are getting ur rock? There was a place called reef life thats moving locations so all their stuff is like 50% off so they dont have to cart everything over to the new location. U might score a good deal that way

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been two weeks and the nitrite is still high and my coraline is turning
white. What do you suggest we do to minimize the damage to the coraline?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hopper Welcome to TRT, you will love it here! The cycle process takes time, you will loose some color as your tank cycles but it will come back. Just keep us up to date so we can follow your progress and see where your at, also have you tested your water and what are the results? Also I still dont see any pics?

And once again welcome, glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
A big ol welcome to you! It took my tank about 7 weeks to cycle. Just relax and do research on what you want to put into the tank when its ready. That helped me to pass the time:arg:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

this is when you tie yourself to a chair for 2 months and do nothing. :D

i find it easier to just wait 2 months than to try and track all of the chemical changes going on in the tank.

do not worry about the corraline to much. it will come back strong again once the tank starts to mature. it may be closer to 6 months down the road, but it will come back.

G~

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I saw your gallery, if you are planning on doing a reef tank you might want to ditch the bioballs(causes issues down the line with nitrates). Its too much of an upkeep to make them work properly. All you really need is a good amount of live rock and a kick butt skimmer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Removing the Bioballs from the wet dry and eco?
What should I replace the with?
What type of rocks?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't sweat losing the corraline. It will come back w/ a vengence! You'll have some turn white if lighting or calcium levels change. My 90gal started to flourish after 3 months and then it used up some calcium. I now have corals and added a kalkreactor to maintain the levels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts