The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am setting up a 72g bow front for a mixed reef. After much outstanding advice from a few on a previous post, i decided to order the Tek T5 6 - 54 watt system and a Euro Reef skimmer. So, what I could use help with is:

Is there a suggested, reputable place to order live rock from and how much should I consider putting in the tank? 50-60lbs?

I've noticed there are many colors and types but assume that I should use a lesser rock for the base and some nicer pieces for the rock that shows most?

do I need a wave maker and how much flow should I be looking to maintain? I currently have 2 powerheads (not sure the GPH. One is larger than the other) in the tank circulating water in addition to the Eheim return pump from the sump.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Hello,
I am setting up a 72g bow front for a mixed reef. After much outstanding advice from a few on a previous post, i decided to order the Tek T5 6 - 54 watt system and a Euro Reef skimmer. So, what I could use help with is:
Whay to go! :thumbup:

Is there a suggested, reputable place to order live rock from and how much should I consider putting in the tank? 50-60lbs?
If you can get it locally thats the best. You should be able to get it for about $5-6/pound. My lfs cures it's LR for 6-8 weeks before selling it, if you buy it online and ship it by the time you pay shipping you won't have saved much and you will have ALOT more die off than getting it locally. I would suggest #70 min.

I've noticed there are many colors and types but assume that I should use a lesser rock for the base and some nicer pieces for the rock that shows most?
Those pics are when it fresh from the sea, whe you get it it will probally me all white and brown. there are many types of LR Fiji, Tonga, Marshall, etc. Fiji is probally tht most common and cheapest.

do I need a wave maker and how much flow should I be looking to maintain? I currently have 2 powerheads (not sure the GPH. One is larger than the other) in the tank circulating water in addition to the Eheim return pump from the sump.
Flow all depends on what you plan to put into the tank. Wave makers are good but expansive. a few high/wide flow powerheads like Tunze or Koralia should be just fine :)

HTH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris!!!!! What about the placement of the powerheads? Should they all be at the top of the tank facing down or should I have some mid and low tank? I am looking to keep some SPS as well as Softies, anemones etc... I would like to mix it up a bit.... I'll have tons of questions about what kinds before I actually purchase anything.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to say that being in the states you should be able to find rock cheaper I'm in canada and found good rock for 3.50#

Whay to go! :thumbup:

If you can get it locally thats the best. You should be able to get it for about $5-6/pound. My lfs cures it's LR for 6-8 weeks before selling it, if you buy it online and ship it by the time you pay shipping you won't have saved much and you will have ALOT more die off than getting it locally. I would suggest #70 min.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I have to say that being in the states you should be able to find rock cheaper I'm in canada and found good rock for 3.50#
In my area LR runs about 5.99/pound. It went up a alot after 9/11 now every single box (even the #50 ones) get opened by customs. They use to ship it from the islands right to distributors. Now there is a middle man in L.A. (thayts where all the LR goes through)

At least thats what I've been told.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Thanks Chris!!!!! What about the placement of the powerheads? Should they all be at the top of the tank facing down or should I have some mid and low tank? I am looking to keep some SPS as well as Softies, anemones etc... I would like to mix it up a bit.... I'll have tons of questions about what kinds before I actually purchase anything.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Personally My Ph's are about 6" from the water line pointing slightly upward, (you want surface aggitation)

With T5's you'll probally keep your SPS high in the tank so they will get pleanty of light as well as flow :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a guy right across the border from me in New York that has it for $6 a pound. I have to shop around really. Another place has it for $10 a pound. $6 is the best I've found thus far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhh. so its not the circulation within the tank, but at the top? I'm new to this so forgive my lack o' knowledge. As for the corals: I read that the SPS are more light needy. Are they the most needy out of the corals? I'm hoping these T5's will do the trick. I almost went for the 4 bulb job, but thought it wouldn't leave me any wiggle room with the SPS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, its a real ritzy joint. Greenwhich, CT. They do all sorts of major installations and tank care for the extremely wealthy. They are a bit over priced, but they take care of their stuff. So there is a trade-off. My problem is I don't have enough to trade. LOL. I was trying not to spend $700 on rock... can't quite swing that one.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Yeah, its a real ritzy joint. Greenwhich, CT. They do all sorts of major installations and tank care for the extremely wealthy. They are a bit over priced, but they take care of their stuff. So there is a trade-off. My problem is I don't have enough to trade. LOL. I was trying not to spend $700 on rock... can't quite swing that one.
cut a deal for a large order, or ask them to order you a whole box for a discount

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K. I took your advise and ordered 2 Korrallias that pump 1200 gph. Thanks again for your help. Its much appreciated. I'll find out about the Rock. Maybe give them a call or see if there are a few other places around. New York City is only 1 hour from me, so maybe I can find a place down there with better prices.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Sorry If I was misunder stood...
You do need surface aggitatitaion and flow throughout the rest of the tank. The flow thru the rest of the tank will be for what ever other corals you have as well as keeping ditrius from setteling so it can be skimmed off. The koralias sould do ok along with your return pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think i got you. The return and maybe one or both of my existing powerheads plus the 2 i just ordered. I will offset them so there is flow throughout.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i suggest not getting powerheads. get propeller pumps instead. Koralias, Seios, Tunze, these are examples of propellor pumps.

honestly i go for the ugliest rock i can find. that is if i have to get LR. i prefer base rock to LR. LR does not come from any part of the reef that you would want it to. most LR comes loaded with phosphates. just the nature of how they get it. there is reason why there is so much algae on some of the pieces. ;)

G~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts