The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon tank w/ about 20-25 pounds of live rock, 20 pounds of live sand, a rio aqua pump/powerhead (mini 50), a H.O.T. Magnum Bio-Pro System (250 gallons per hour).
I am very confused about what type of filtration to use because in my research people are recommending different things: wet/dry, sump, canister, and others say that a filter is not needed.
I am very interested in this hobby and I want to do everything the right way but I'm having trouble finding accurate information online.
I would like to set up a reef tank. I need some expert advice on what type of filtration method to use. :help:

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
:wavey:Welcome to TRT!:wavey:Very easy! None,your live rock is your filter.Just get good lighting,skimmer and flow and your set.Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
:agree: get yourself a decent skimmer and no other filtration besides your liverock is needed. A sump is not really a type of filtration but just another remote tank that can get some equipment out of sight, increase water volume for stability, and give you a place for a refugium if you so choose. Make sure you do your research on skimmers b/c there are some really bad ones out there for the sam cost as really good ones :). Skimmer and lights are the 2 places to not skimp. There are some who choose not to run a skimmer on smaller tanks and just maintain water quality with frequent water changes. I have a 30 long and I run a skimmer b/c it gives me a tad more wiggle room. WHat kind of things do you want in your reef?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jenglish and Loverotties, I really appreciate your help

Jenglish and Loverotties, I really appreciate your help. I want my tank to be very colorful and have lots of coral. I haven't done my research yet on corals. Any recommendations on what I should get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loverotties I'm not sure what you mean by flow...

Loverotties I'm not sure what you mean by flow. Do you mean the powerhead? If so, is the Rio Mini 50 sufficient? or do I need a more powerful one?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have a tunze reefpack 200. it includes the 9002 series skimmer and also has an intank nano filter (perfect for running carbon) and built in powerhead. i love the tunze.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Well an important question to ask is what type of lighting do you have? Lighting and protein skimmer anre generally the most important (and expensive) parts of a system.

as far as flow you need some water movement for any tank (some is being provided in your setup already) part of it is for surface agitation for gas exchange. Different corals need different amounts of flow. Small Polyp stonies need quite a bit of flow while large polyp stonies can get battered by strong current. SOfties seem to be more tolerent of a range of flows IMO. Hope that helps.

BTW, what type or brand of skimmers were you looking at?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation except I'm lost when it comes to lighting, somebody help! I have a 29g too, already have the live cured rock, sand, powerheads, and skimmer. Just don't know have a clue about lighting the PC interested me because of low heat, but as far as how much power I need I don't have clue. I want something strong enough to possibly support coral.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts