The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my cousin set up his new 75 gal reef tank. we are in college so many is tight. He was asking me today how much rock he should buy to start out with? I was thinking about 25-35lbs.
I was also curious about what types of salt everyone uses?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use plain old instant ocean. 25 - 35 lbs is a good start. the rule of thumb is one pound per gallon. that being said one rock can weigh 25 or 30 lbs or you could fill a large tank with many rocks that have a low density. then base it on aesthetics too.

look into buying base rock or dry rock and then adding live rock too base rock sells in Florida for about one or two dollars per pound. live rock is five to a lot per pound.

I think that a lot of folks might use reef crystals, and marine tropic make good salt to but can be a bit spendy.

have fun with the build and post some pics.

Fred

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am helping my cousin set up his new 75 gal reef tank. we are in college so many is tight. He was asking me today how much rock he should buy to start out with? I was thinking about 25-35lbs.
I was also curious about what types of salt everyone uses?
Thanks
That amount of rock should be fine.
IMO I would just buy dry reef rock from reefcleaners for the majority of the rock and buy some live rock locally to seed the dry rock. It will all look the same over time. Save ALOT of money! You could even do the same with sand too. Just buy mainly all dry sand and use a little bit of live sand to seed it.
(Link: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34)

I use Instant Ocean salt with no problems.
There are so many choices out there to choose from its ridiculous!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts