The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, ive been doing a lot of reading on rc aboutbb and noticed none of the originators ever posted there. i was so happy to find this site. anyways right now i have a ssb in my 90 cube and i would like to convert it over to bb because ive read alot of advantages of it. its a mainly sps tank and will be all sps by the time im done with the switch.
* right now for flow i have a mag 5 return pump and 4 seio 620 ( not enough for bb)
* skimmer is a asm g2 recirculating, gatevalve, and a airpump with a skimmer air stone in the chamber. (very unhappy with this)
* lighting is a 400w 20k bulb in a lumenarc III reflector. ( im thinking of possibly switching to t5?)
so i guess id like to get your opinion on new equipment.
*flow
*skimming
*lighting
*hdpe board or glass
etc...
thanks for the help

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
Welcome to TRT Brandon!

Return: I would recommend returning more water than this in a 90 gallon, the reason I say this is because more water flowing to the skimmer means that nutrients can be removed faster.

This only works if you skimmer is capable of processing that water, Since you are very unhappy with yours, conceder replacing your skimmer with a Beckett design. I have a MRC MR-2 and I am very happy with it, one component of a BB system is skimming wet, and a Beckett skimmer is capable of this like no other. The other advantage is my skimmer processes about 1000 GPH, so that is getting detritus out of my system faster than a rec skimmer processing 200 GPH.

The one chink in the Beckett's armor though is the fact that these skimmers are only as good as the pump that drives them, on a MR-2 I highly recommend a GenX PCX-55. You need a pressure rated external pump, Mags won't cut it, and this means they take more power to run then other types of skimmers, I think it is very worth it. If your overflow can handle the same return pump you will be able to remove any detritus very quickly.

I am not sure how much you want to spend, but if I had the money I would go with Tunze pumps for flow. Since I don't have the money, I use Seio's. If you were to replace those 620's, or at least 2 of them with 1500's and use it well, I think you would be in good shape.

What are the demotions on your cube? This will help determine if T5 would be a good option, for now, since you are used to the Halide I would leave it as you make the transition, after you get a feel for your new BB tank, you can think about going with T5's.

I would get the HDPE board for protection, if you drop a rock on your glass bottom it may crack and cause disaster.

To make your rock-work more stable if you have mostly brick shaped rocks (VS branch type) consider drilling 3 holes in the bottom of each rock that sits on the bottom of your pile, and inserting cut up pieces of plastic coat hanger into the rock. The rocks don't have to sit way off the glass, but this would give you feet to keep them from rocking (pun intended) and allow flow underneath to sweep detritus out.

It is also important to stack your rocks in such a way that they are open, this helps keep detritus from settling on the rocks themselves and releasing phosphate.

See the sticky "how to go bare bottom" for more useful info.

All JMHO of course,
Whiskey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dimensions ae 30x30x24. i think i might just start over new with a 36x24x24 and get better coverage and go with t5s

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
If this is going to be mainly SPS I would stick with the MH. My LFS just tried some T-5's and wasnt happy. You can see the diff. I have seen tanks with T-5's do great for SPS but MH is a better bet in my opinion.
Is the tank Acrylic? For flow i would strongly recomend a CLS along with a spray bar. The bar will keep under the rock clean as a babies butt and also behind the rock. It will also help to keep detritus suspended. Flow in an SPS system is pretyty wide open, put as much as you can in there just make it work for you as far as keep ing things clean and in suspension.
The MR-2 is great for skimming and its expandable if you upgrade in the future!

Robert

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
30x24x24 is a nice size how about a combo of MH and T5s that would be awesome and go with a closed loop with a big pump on it and a Tunze in each back corner;) Make sure to do your water changes with ro/di water and do them frequently.:)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hey Brandon, Welcome to TRT!
Are you also a member at SD Reef? If not is a big coincidence you have the same project going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i am a sd reefs member. ive decided to go with a closed loop and only my return for flow. my tank wasnt setup for high flow and only has a 1" drain. what pump would you recomend for a drain and also what pump for a closed loop. i really dont care about efficient but i do want quiet

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Skimming wet is better to remove the dirt you can do dry but most prefer wet.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
Gmoney said:
skimming wet for a BB, care to explain Wiskey? That is the first I read abot that...or is it ok to skim dry as well? How do you maintain salinity levels if skimming wet?

G
I could,.. but you would get better info from this thread
http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66606

In that thread I was really hoping to get away with running a needlewheel skimmer to save power,... I ended up getting the Beckett though, and I am very glad I did.

Whiskey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks for the help everybody. ive decided to keep my light, do a closed loop wit a dart, change my return to a mag 9.5, get a mrc mr2 with a PCX-55, and do hdpe. how does this sound? any last minute changes. thanks for th help guys

dart=3600gph headloss 3000gph
9.5=950gph headloss 700gph

total 3700gph/90=41.11 turnover.
is that decent?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
woh, look what happens when you get distracted :rolleyes:

The first mod is to the Beckett, instead of having the Beckett assembly screw right into the box, build a 6 inch riser using a 1 inch female to slip-1 inch PVC pipe-1 inch male to slip to rise the Beckett off the box 6 inches.

Now this part you will need to talk to Andy about, have him make you a fitting for the top of the Beckett so the water goes straight in, not through that 90 fitting that comes stock. What he will do is instead of using a 90 deg PVC part at the top, input to the Beckett, he will glue on a straight one instead. (my new top bit should come in this week then I can do this.)
Lastly you want the skimmer to drain fast, and more importantly consistently, this means have no pipe on the gate valve at all, and have it above the water line, or, have the pipe come out of the gave valve straight into a siphon break, then into a 45 down.

The skimmer works spectacular as it is, but these things help get a little more out of it.

Whiskey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts