The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, let me introduce myself.

Actually both my spouse, Mark, and I, Betsy, are joining KMAS. We hope to meet some of you at the Sept meeting.

We live in Glynn County and have gotten a 150 gal tank from someone who used to keep a reticulated eel. The short version of the story is that we are setting up a reef tank (the eel passed away). I am ordering books to read, using the forum, and happy to find KMAS.

I've used a picture of our tank with the stand made by our 20 yr old son in PROFILE. I have used a picture of the live sand, limited live rock, base rock, and salt water that is our current tank.

I know. It looks a bit stark.

Cycling. Working on my patience and cycling.

My spouse is a retired physician who is a bit of a renaissance man. I am a biologist and businesswoman who loves teaching, zoos, birding, and conservation. Our grown kids are a bit alarmed to hear that we are off to purchase "live rock", but we are happy to begin this new hobby. We have great hopes of taking the slow route to a lovely tank with coral and fish and who knows whatever else we might be able to keep alive.

We won't have much to offer in the beginning but give us a little time (and painful experience) and we'll kick into another level of participation. We are pleased to have found you and joined your group.

Betsy and Mark

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Hey Betsy and Mark, welcome to KBMAS, I took the liberty of moving your thread so you don't get posts like the one above. We have a great group of people that are willing to help. Post away and don't be afraid to ask questions.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for moving the posting to the correct thread, FishDude32 (Adam).

Looking forward to meeting you as well, Mrs. Puff (Kim).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
"Confession is good for the soul" or Hallucinations of a Novice

Errrm. I have learned enough to now know that I do not have a protein skimmer.

I know I'll need one.

This tank in its current configuration ran for over five years and supported a lightly stocked salt water tank with an eel. At times the tank had fish, coral and eel, but the eel dictated eel-only. Now "eel-free" (though a bit sad about it), I understand adding coral and more fish will change the specifications, but I also know I will be going pretty slowly on those acquisitions.

Because I am starting with a big tank and going very slowly, I am hoping that I can cycle and begin without the skimmer. I mean "slow": after cycling add a three or four clownfish and coral. Once they seem fine, add "cleaners" and four to six small schooling fish and coral frags. I would certainly be willing to add more live rock if the tank needed something right then, but I am hoping to convert base rock in time to "live rock".

I do have a Sealife System wet/dry bioball filtration. I understand that the bioballs are not desireable for reef tanks but without the skimmer I think I'll keep them in to get started.

I do have an in-tank overflow and, I think, powerful output heads. The current is a slight one but felt even at base of tank.

On the positive side, I do water testing. Today I have to increase the salt level. Other tested values are OK: ammonia 0 mg/L, pH-7.7, NO2- < 0.3mg/L, and KH (German hardness, carbonate) 6.

I hope to add a cycling fish next week.

I am making a list of items that I'll buy (or make) when I find good used ones and have the money:
RI-DO water filter
protein skimmer
reef lighting
refugium
power heads

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll choose the corals most likely to succeed in the tank as it is and also prefer those available from local people whom I know. Certainly I'll be asking KBMAS sources.

Ideas now include a very small selection (1 to 2 corals, 3 to 4 frags) to start up from :
heteroxenia polyp
candy cane
long polyp leather
trumpet coral
evergreen starbust polyp
mushroom coral

I'll be open to advice when the tank is stable enough to consider coral addition.

·
Registered
311 Posts
hello and welcome to our club... my name says angry but thats not realy me:) I am probibly the biggest proponent of skimmers but thats not to say that you will not do fine in the beggining just doing large and frequent water changes. Your observation that bio balls are not realy used in reef tanks is completly correct but i do no know why you would keep them to cycle... I would recomend that you pull them out and cycle the rock as the biological filter so you will not have problems later having a cycle with an established tank. There is penty of space on the live rock to support all nitrogen cycle bacteria.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
From your list you will be able to go medium flow and PC or T5's for lights and your list looks alot like the club may be able to support your corals.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
i would remove all the bio balls as like john said it will cause a mini cycle when you remove them later. as for corals yea a bunch of us have those already so you could frag off us. the first thing i would get not knowing what you city tap water is like is a rodi an skimmer. air water an ice has some nice rodi's im reviewing one right now an it does a great job

1 - 15 of 15 Posts