The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok with your guidence i purchised an aqua c remora and its working great.ijust need some advise on setting it its been running about a month and ive played with it a bit but i dont know how mutch crud i should be getting my 29 has been up for about 3 months now and its started getting a film on the surface could this be because my skimmer isnt sset rite. i do 5 gal water changes once a week.thanks dan

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
I got the surface skimmer box with my Remora Pro, wich did a good job of removing that "film" on the surface of the tank. If you have or are getting one of them, you have to make sure your water levels are constant. Oddly enough, after I switched to a Reef Ready tank, I took the surface skimmer box off.

As for the amount it pulls out...that's up to you. The higher you raise the cup, the dryer you're going to be skimming. The lower you put the cup, the wetter the skim. I skim pretty wet, so I'm usually emptying the cup at least once a day. The skimmate is pretty light in color.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I suggest you point one of your powerheads towards the surface of the water .. this will disperse the oil buildup and allow the HOB skimmer to remove this crud. I have a couple of Remoras and don't use the "surface skimmer" attachment ... to large for my taste and plenty of nasty posts about that device.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts