The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
day one of 55 gallon set up
50 lbs of reef rocks
aragamax grand bahama sand 90 lbs....this sand was great since i didnt rinse it and it kept the water clear without that white haze that usually happends, the weird side of this sand is i found some things that should not be in there like a torn piece of potatoe chip bag and a piece of glass, who knows what else is in there that i didnt find, probaby and arm or something lol...theres tons of shells and a piece of well intact accupura coral skeleton (spell check?)
the light is a 4x65 orbit light
i ordered 45 lbs of select premium fiji live rock that should be arriving next week (dang holiday delayed my shipment :mad: )
ill enclose more pics when i add the live rock :)

·
Super Moderator
26,946 Posts
Oh boyeee! Can't wait to see how it looks with the new LR that's on the way.

Grrr on the piece of potato chip bag in the sand!

What Robert said..more info, then more pix :D

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i wish it would stay clean..the dreaded diatoms will be here soon :doh:
i keep equipment simple, aquamaster 400 power filter with chemi pure, i change the cartridges every 2 weeks, its costly but its the only way to keep nitrates down. 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads.
the water is bottled RO water. after all the sand and rocks were in i filled it with gallons of ro water and what ya think is 55 gallons actually is only 38 gallons, i didnt fill to the top cuz im waiting for the live rock, i hate when tanks overflow lol. so im guessing ill have to add only another gallon or two of water, so its 40 gallons max realistically
i run my reef tanks simple, ive never used a skimmer or had a sump and in the several years ive been reefing (on and off) ive never had a tank crash ever. i do weekly water changes
inhabitants will be peacefull fishees :funny:
a small school of chromis maybe, but i do have my heart set on a foxface, ill take the chance on him nibbling a coral here and there :D

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
sounds cool, and really interesting. I like the idea of running a reef as simple as possible, and give props to anyone who can pull it off... I am just too lazy. I will stick with my expensive skimmers, and calcium reactors, and digital instruments to measure everything on gods green earth... plus it makes me look smart to people who come over! lol.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL
im afraid of all that equipment :eek:
i was gonna buy a sump once, so i went sump shopping, i nearly ran out of the store those things were huge! lol
i found the more i did and the more i fussed the worse things would end up. the less i did and things thrived and took off
my other tank has zero nitrates, its just a small nano, but zero nitrates is like winning the lotto to me hehe...okay maybe not the lotto but close enuff :funny:
oh and the skimmer, i tried to use one but it would always pour tons of micro bubbles in the tank, guess cuz i dont have a sump, so i tossed it, i figured ill just do more water changes to make up for the no skimming :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahh phooey i broke my lunar lights :bawling:
i had it behind my door for the longest time still in the box, well one night i opened the wrong door and the light slammed to the floor :doh: i kinda thought something broke cuz it just sounded bad lol
well today when i set up the light i noticed the lunars werent on, i fiddled a bit and got them on (ooo it looked so pretty :drool: )
i was like oh yay they work, so i figured i didnt need them on now so i unplugged them, well something must be loose cuz i cant get it to come on again. i tried a different plug and everything, oh well it could be worse, at least the day and acnics work :D

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm something strange is happening to the reef rock, its turning black :eek:
kinda looks better at least its not that bright white color anymore lol
but what the heck is this stuff? mildew? bacteria?
theres nothing alive in the tank i dont know where it came from, i did have the lights on tho, i just couldnt stand a dark tank :funny:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
live rock arrived this morning
45lbs fiji
its gonna take awhile before the base rocks look decent i guess, maybe in this case algae would make it look better lol

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thnx :)

yeah my nano tank is complete so i kinda got that itchy gotta do a new tank feeling again lol
theres alot of spots and ledges for corals, i cant wait until i can load up.
this is the hard part now...waiting :rolleyes:
all this talk on the boards about skimmers made me order a new one, its prob a bad one since i heard not too great reviews about it, but it had a so called bubble deverter, and its those pesky bubbles that drive me nuts about skimmers...so i got the prizm :doh:
i may only run it during the curing phase of the live rock, unless it remains bubble-less then ill keep it
well guess i wont update pics for another month since not much will be going on...unless you want to see pics of diatoms lol

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh good, i really was dreading the thought of going in there and changing things
does base rock count towards the final rock per lbs rule?
45 lbs live rock and 50 lbs reef dead rocks
brings me to 95 lbs :eek:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Dont worry about the rule. It's just a suggestion. As long as fish can swim they dont care. Just keep it where water can flow thru the rock.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts