The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40 gallon tank and when I set it up originally the lfs set me in the complete wrong direction. I now have 34 lbs of live rock 2 in live sand a small clean up crew and 2 clowns. The tank has been up for about 2 months. I have a nova extreme 4 bulb t-5 set up a seaclon 100 skimmer which will be replaced as soon as possible. The lfs told me to put a marineland hot magnum canister filter on I used the carbon in the beginning but have not replaced it I use it mainly for water flow. Should I remove the filter and put hydor fans or a powerhead in or what is my best option for water flow. Please help!!!

Thanks

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Ok, you need help. Let's take it slow. What are your water parameters. PH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and KH?

How did you cycle the tank?

You should prolly remove the carbon and let the tank have its mini cycle. A couple Hydor K1s or 2s would prolly be good for a 40... Is it a breeder or tall?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok salinity 1.025 alkalinity 9.9 calcium 480 magnesium 1200 nitrate 25 ph 8.1 temp 78 and its a breeder i think i know its 36in wide

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I have a k2 in a 30 long (also 36 inch) and the flow is decent but light. 2 k2s would be good for lower flow corals but maybe a bit more if you want to keep SPS. You may not know what stuff you want jsut yet :) I might just take all the media out of the canister and use it for flow. If you ever need to run carbon it is all set up to. I think the skimmer is going to be the first thing to worry about even before increasing flow

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Nitrates are high. What other equipment do you have? Sump? How much are you feeding and how often? What do you dose? Your calcium is a little high.

A breader is deeper that it is tall and a tall is taller than it is deep. I think breeder is 36X18X12 and a tall is 36X12X18.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the nitrate's are high I only feed the clown once a day the food is frozen cubes about an inch squared and I cut about 1/3 and smash it up and feed them. What else can I do to get nitrate's down I do a 10-15% water change weekly

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Shoot for 380 to 420 calcium and 9 to 11 DKH.

Feed less, every 2 to 3 days is enough. And you don't need to feed 2 fish a 3rd of a cubic inch of food at a time. If they can't eat it ALL in 1min your putting too much in. You also need to get a better skimmer. Do 25 percent every week untill yo get a better skimmer. Remember to mix the ASW and airate and mix for 24 hours bring to temp of tank and match salinity, KH and PH before doing water change.

Rinse the food in RO water and dry it with a paper towel or fine mesh screen before feeding. That won't help with NO3 but it will help with PO4. PO4 is the real problem in our systems. NO3 is easily dealt with PO4 is difficult to get out once its bound to your rock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts