The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in getting either one of the two I am not interested in the "really pretty stars" :) . For some reason I really like these two because they look like something that comes out of the aliens anthology:drool: ! Although I read/heard that you feed them twice a week. But food is no problem since i live in Florida you just have to go to the docks in the moring to get fresh food. But a couple of questions about them:

1. Which of the two are more hardy.
2. what is really the difference between the two.
3. does the serpent star crawl on the glass (not particularly wanting but Ok i guess none the less)
4. does anyone have any experience with either one

Thank Brian:beer:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
they are basically the same thing.
color variations and sizing is about it.
both are classed as Ophiuroidea .
try and stay away fromthe greens. they are more of a meat eater.. not good if you have fish you want to keep
one of the problems witht them in an over all sense.. they can nto take swings in the tank ( like the SG level)
most are around 4-7 inches in size and need a mix of food.
a few variations will even eat sponge off the LR too.
over all they may not be the best idea for a reef. even the sand stars are not really cleaning the sand, they are looking and eating the micro life with in it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I actually have had a green brittle star in my reef tank for about 8 months. He is pretty huge and basically hides under my large rock during the day. He reaches his legs out of every different hole looking for food. I basically give him a few cut up pieces of frozen grocery store shrimp about once a week. He has never touched my fish...which is about half his size, and overall he is pretty awesome to watch and to feed. At night he will come all the way out and scavange for food.

I really enjoy having him. He has never knocked over a coral or eaten my fish...he did however eat my peppermint shrimp. Mine has been very hardy and actually survived a 5 day power outage when the tank dropped to about 60 degrees and killed just about everything.

Not to discredit Tims info since he is a much more experienced reefer than I am, but I just wanted to give you my experience. Goodluck in your decision.

Chad

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
FatAbott said:
So are they considered reef safe and is it prefurable to feed them at night compared to the day
heheh.. yes and no.....
reef safe .. yes... fish safe....maybe....
most do likethe night time more then the day time, that is one of the reasons so many like the caves.
dont read me wrong, i love the look of the various stars, and it has been a bit since i had one. they too are a bugger that can take some specail care

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
as a general rule the larger the central disc the more opportunistic the star will be. GBS are notorious for eating shrimp and small fish.

other than that whichever you like the looks of. serpents have smooth arms, bristles have bristley arms. :D

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had a green brittle star for a while, but it ate a lot of my snails, crabs and the last straw was when it ate my cleaner shrimp.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
i have 2 brittle sea star in my tank, a huge red one that has been there since a year and a half now, and a black one for 5 months now, they require no feeding, they will catch food that comes across when you feed your fish, they are reef safe and doesnt bother anything in the tank, the only thing the red one ate was a snail and never did it again

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have one of the black/white striped brittle stars and 99% of the time he stays hidden under a rock. Sometimes you can see his arms sticking out but that's about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
as a general rule the larger the central disc the more opportunistic the star will be. GBS are notorious for eating shrimp and small fish.

other than that whichever you like the looks of. serpents have smooth arms, bristles have bristley arms. :D

G~
Would it be possible to have 3 brittle stars and 1 serpent star?

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
you can have as many as you see is enough, they will not touch any shrimp or fish i have shrimps and a goby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts