The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Jorge today and his ideas fell through. He was trying to get a representative from Custom Sea Life to speak but he can't make it. He is going to send some product to give away though.

The other idea was to have Victor speak but he will be out of town. Jorge and Angela are going to provide refreshments but we need to come up with the entertainment for the evening. They have one of the nicest display tanks I've seen in a while and IMO that's entertainment enough for me.

AS is also going to offer a 20% discount for the evening.

We prolly need to go ahead and get an announcement posted but not mention any of the details such as the discount and give aways until that night at the meeting.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Personally not having a fairly major event is sort of a waste for their store.

I wish we would have just done the original plan of a large reef raffle. We could have supplied a Kent skimmer and some products and they could have supplied a few items. Would have drawn a much larger crowd which would have been to their benefit.

But at this late time I guess hind sight is 20/20.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have the raffle tickets that we used @ Borneman.

however, since I will be in Charlotte for the next few weeks I'd have to get them to someone this weekend if you want to use them @ AS.

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I don't think we need to entertain the masses at every stinking meeting. Yes it is great if we can, but they should not be there for free this or free that...

We haven't talked about skimmers or refugiums or plumbing or filtration....etc....etc...if someone wants to come up with a topic, I can do a brief overview and open the floor to questions....

·
Registered
921 Posts
entertainment

Andy, I would love to hear you speak on setting up reactors and skimmers. As a generic topic, we have many novices including myself who are unfamiliar with the daily life support of the reef tank. If you show the samples from Kent it would whet the appetite of those going to Calfo raffle give-a-way. When Charles talked at Newnan, I was distracted and missed it. I have been wishing since, that Charles would webpost his discusssion on RO/DI water. Even if just the newest members are interested in a presentation, it helps to solidify their interest in ARC.

·
Registered
921 Posts
right

Sorry, I know that. Syntax error. I was thinking of the Kent products to be given away in October = interest in learning about skimmers & reactors. I mixed it in the same sentence as you speaking. Please tell us about the process using your perfected MRC items. I would also be interested in how the Nielsen reactor compliments the calcium reactor.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It's not a question of entertaining the masses or free this and free that.

The simple fact is nobody did any meeting coordination for this meeting. Period.

Presentation, Raffle, Auction, Fragging, Speaker, Company Rep. ---- Any of the above would have been acceptable but to not have a presentation for the simple reason that nody coordinated anything with this meeting does not seem acceptable to me.

I only state this cause I tried a few weeks ago to get everyone working on this and was ignored.

I hope we learn from this for future meetings.

But my version of meeting coordination and everyone elses obviously isn't the same which is why I have not been actively helping with any active meeting coordination. Everyone has faught me over this since the first of the year and I have given in to the battle.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody's fighting you, I just think we're all out of ideas. Remember that before this year we rarely had a presentation, unless you count the multitudes of times that Kent or Sea Chem came in.

I think that some time should be spent discussing the upcoming election and what each position involves. I don't know what y'all are hearing but I have only heard of one or two people that may run for office.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think the elections are good to discuss....after all these are the people that will be coming up with ideas for next years meetings...is any of the current BOD going to run for any office next year?

Not me, I plan on being on the BOD as a trustee, but nothing more....

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Elections is good. Not sure If I can make the meeting or not. Andy if you printout my elections post you could use that as an outline for what the positions entail.

You have probably noticed I expanded some of the positions a little to reflect the current inner workings of the club (especially Treas and automating it --- Meeting coordination and activities ---- membership coordinator as sponsor liason). Not sure if Jenn wants to continue as Membership coordinator and I imagine Maria is not longer interested in meeting coordinator especially with the expanded duties.

I also assumed we whould have Rob stay on as Webmaster (I guess we need to make sure he's willing) but we should get a webmaster2 position filled so that he has help with the monthly updating.

So not only should the dicscussion be about the elected positions but also the appointed positions that will need to be re-appointed.

I second the nomination of Curtis for President :D

What about Robbie, Doug, Bob.

Maybe we could get Jenn to give us a listing of the top 10 or 20 people who attended meetings this year. That way we'll have a good idea of who is really active in the club and we could then solicitate them for positions.

Unfortunatly with my current home situation it is increasingly hard for me to come to weekday meetings. Because of this I was figuring I would just sit on the BOD and take on small projects as they come up. Also the Nano SIG will probably give me something to do from time to time.

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts