The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new around here and didn't know which forum would best host this thread. I'm in the process of setting up my first marine tank that will start out as FOWLR and will eventually turn into a Reef down the road.

That said, my tank is a 36g Bow Front that will (hopefully) have a 10g sump underneath with a Remora, HOB Fuge and my heaters in it. The tank will host 3-4 fish. Current plan is a pair of clowns (one being a B&W F.Perc, the other a normal F.Perc) as well as a Watchman Goby.

I'm curious if there is 1.) Enough room in this tank for a 4th fish (one that is more free swimming, any suggestions?) and 2.) Is it possible to go overboard with inverts?

For corals, I am sticking to the beginner safe ones (Xenia, GSP, Torch, Frogspawn, Zoa and Shrooms) but they are 6mo. to a year off.

Although the fish and corals are fun to watch, I really get enjoyment watching the crustaceans and such go about their daily routine. Current thought is to go with:
LiveStock:
1x Serpent Star (is it safe for a fish tank?)
1x Fighting Conch
1x Cowrie
1x Fire Shrimp
1x Banded Coral Shrimp
2x Feather Dusters1
1x Pistol Shrimp
1x BTA
*The above are more for show. I will also have the typical cleanup crew of peppermints, snails and the like

Is this to much for a 36g tank with 3-4 fish and corals? Or do these guys not put much strain on the bioload and as long as I get compatable species I should be fine?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Depends on the type of fish you want to put in there, but a smaller fish like the ones you already have should be fine in my opinion.

jd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, Im not sure what fish are more "free swimming" and would move around a lot during the day and such beside Damsels? But I hear they would be a mistake given what else I want.

How about the inverts? Am I going overboard with so many? Or should I be fine with that and then a few more?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
most of the time you can not go overboard with inverts. some are not compatible with others, but most are fine. serpent stars are one that you may need to watch. several are able to capture and eat shrimp and small fish.

firefish are a good choice. they may have a hard time fighting off the clowns though. clownfish are damsels BTW. :(

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts