The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had this new tank up and running for just over 4 months now and i want to add another fish soon. I have 2 perc. clowns and a 4stripe damsel. I also have a blood shrimp, bta, and 2 toadstool frags. I want something colorful like a yellow tang, something that has a different body shape than the damsels. And something that wont get too big cause I only have 75gal.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
gorgeous aquascape!
I'd say a lionfish to eat that damsel! jk! (sorta). ;)
All kidding aside, I'll leave this to the more informed of us, I constantly ask before I add anything, tho now I'm fully stocked.
Great tank! keep the pics coming! :D

·
11,345 Posts
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/six-line-wrasse---pseudocheilinus-hexataenia-fish--wrasses.html

cant go wrong with a sixline

or for color
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/royal-gramma---gramma-loreto-fish--basslets.html
too bad you dont live closer ive got one i would give you...i acquired it unintentionally and would like to give it away

These next two guys have TONS of personality
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/bicolor-blenny---ecsenius-bicolor-fish--blennys.html

and this one came in as a hitchhiker for me and i LOVE him. the undisputed king of all my tanks.....see avatar
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/lawnmower-blenny---salarias-fasciatus-fish--blennys.html
hes got more personality than most people i know.....

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
abong, if you'd like to see more bi-colored blenny pics then click on the link in my sig! I have one and he's so fun! I have a firefish too, perhaps that would interest you?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Here are a few fish that are something similar to a yellow tang, that may be a different option to look at:

Yellow Longnose Butterfly Fish

and then there's this fish:

Foxface Lo

(both pics are from liveaquaria.com)

Here's a complatiblity chart that you may want to use as a guideline for purchasing fish:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Good luck with your purchase. Of course we'll want to see a pic of whatever you get.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Good point Jessica... research, research, research before you purchase.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been told that wrasses will get too big for my tank, but they are nice species. I had a royal gramma in my last tank and it died after a week. The blenny is nice and i might get one of those. The last one is ugly i think, it kinda looks like a frog without legs. But thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.

·
11,345 Posts
You calling my LMB UGLY????

LOL, like i said, i didnt pick him...he picked me but he is far cooler than one might think, and he is by far my favorite fish.

But then again, my dream fish is a rhinopius scorpion and theyre not exactly cute. The rhinopius body is pretty crazy but their eyes are one of the craziest looking things ive ever seen. They kind of look like a mirror that isnt there. Ive never seen a picture of ones eyes that captures what they really look like. I think i might just get one for dessert on my new build..........

ps-thanks for the snarly whatevva

one more thing abong, that sixline will never outgrow your tank

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Remember to do some research before you actually buy.
But here's somemore info:

The Six Line Wrasse is also referred to as the Sixline Wrasse or Sixstripe Wrasse. It has six, horizontal distinctive blue lines lying against an orange background. When courting, the male will display an increased color intensity.

It requires a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with a generous supply of hiding places and live rock in which to forage for food. It may act aggressively towards peaceful Wrasses and other fish that are easily intimidated.
It will search for live foods in the form of small crustaceans such as pyramidellid snails (clam parasites), urchins, and commensal flatworms. Six Line Wrasse are also known to feed on unwanted pests on live rock, such as bristleworms. When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should consist of finely chopped meaty foods and occasionally vitamin-enriched frozen preparations.

and this one:

The Filamented Flasher Wrasse, also known as the Whip-fin Fairy Wrasse, originates from the waters of the Indo-Pacific. The Filamented Flasher Wrasse is primarily red in color with a white underside. The fins are yellow with blue markings, and the dorsal fin is elongated. The color of the female is subdued when comparing it to the brilliance of the male. The male during courting will change colors very rapidly giving it its common name. Colors may vary depending on the fish's mood.

The Filamented Flasher Wrasse is a very peaceful, active fish that will bring both color and activity to a fish-only or reef aquarium of 30 gallons or larger. They will not bother any corals or invertebrates making them a perfect fish for the reef aquarium. A single male can be kept with a group of females that is introduced prior to or at the same time as the male. These wrasses like to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is recommended.
When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. Meals should consist of a variety of feeder shrimp, flaked foods, and marine meats.

(fish info and pics from liveaquaria.com)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The lawnmower blennies are the bomb dude!!!! They are such characters! I can't see having a saltwater tank without one. I just purchased another one (RIP Spot) for my thirty gallon.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I have had 3 peppermint shrimp and my firefish totally ignores them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
From liveaquaria.com:
The Firefish Goby is also known as the Firefish, Fire Goby, Magnificent Dartfish, or Fire Dartfish. Its head is yellow, the anterior portion of the body is white, and the posterior portion a pinkish to orangish red. The dorsal, anal, and caudal fins are highlighted in black. In the wild, Firefish Gobies are usually found in groups hovering over the reef, harvesting planktonic food that drifts by in the current. Each Firefish Goby will have a "bolt-hole," which it quickly ducks into when threatened.

Firefish Goby are a sweet-tempered fish with lots of personality, making them one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby. Because of their small size, they make a great addition to the smaller reef system. There are two, closely-related fish, the Flame (Purple) Firefish, N. decora and the rarely seen N. helfrichi.
They will try to jump out of the tank, especially if stressed, so the Firefish Goby should be housed in a 10 gallon or larger tank with a lid. Hobbyists who use a halide system with an open top should construct a Plexiglas "edge" around the trim, at least 10" tall. It is generally not aggressive towards other fish except those of its own species; a mated pair can live peacefully. The Firefish Goby prefers moderate lighting conditions, several hiding places to duck into when threatened, and a moderate current passing over the reef. Along with algae and zooplankton growing in the tank, the diet of the Firefish Goby should consist of finely chopped small crustaceans, vitamin-enriched brine fish (live or frozen), mysid shrimp, and prepared foods.

Firefish and inverts are compatible. Per the compatibility chart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts