The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking to a couple of folks who have been members for a while, I would like to try to get some more people interested in our monthly meetings and activities that may have for one reason or another dropped out of regular activity recently.

I am interested in introducing (or reintroducing) a "topic of the month" sort of thing for each meeting so that hopefully we will have something to talk about at the meetings, other than a fast hello, oh nice frag, lets trade, goodbye type of scenario.

Possible topics that I have thought of might include:

Refugiums and macroalgae growth.
Sandbed and refugium microfauna population.
Water chemistry, including less frequently tested parameters.
Coral propagation techniques.
Livestock and drygoods swapmeets/fleamarkets.
New member question and answering.
etc

I hope that if we can start to include set topics of discussion/activities, we might be able to attract some of the folks who might have little to no need for frag aquisition. I know there are a lot of folks out there who have beautiful tanks, but really are not in the market for the standard zoos, mushrooms, and sps frags that are floating around, and who have gone more toward online aquisition. I would love to find a reason to get these folks to become more active members again!

Activities such as order pooling for detrivore kits, bulk purchases of things like lightbulbs, salt, or ro/di cartridges, frag sales where members can bring frags for sale to other members at 5-10 dollar prices (great way to clear out those overgrown colonies and get new folks some livestock), as well as active discussions and possibly a study of the host's applications of an aspect of reef keeping, should all serve to bring more members into the meetings.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, I would love to hear from some folks as to what kinds of things they would like to see, and what kinds of things they have missed. The turnout to the June meeting illustrated that we have a very large pool of hobbyists, and it would be great to get more folks involved!

Anyway, let us know what you think.

Ryan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great ideas Ryan,

I would love to bring back the 'topic of discussion' at each meeting.
One idea I thought of.... that each meeting we go around introduce ourselves.. tell what size and kind of tank we have..... and have a question that we would like a opinion on. It would probably take awhile, but we sure would get to know everybody.

Definately need to make new reefers feel welcomed.

Love the swap meet idea too.

Would be nice if everyone made their own name tags to wear at the meetings, with our TRT online name.

Tammy (Tamilee)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also like the idea of the topic based meeting. Maybe we could do a monthly poll and all vote on what we want and see if we can get someone to volunteer to lead the discussion or something. One topic I know I'd be interested in is anemones as they are basically taboo in the nano world and I've never had any personal experience with them. I love seeing them in tanks. Actaully, pretty much any species discussion would be interesting to me. I think my favorite part about reef keeping is studying the habits of each individual species...

·
Beanieboy
432 Posts
Nice idea, Ryan. That has kind of fallen by the wayside lately. I think 1 of the problems is that we were having trouble coming up with new ideas, so the meetings just naturally swung to trading. Anemones would be good, I know that has not been brought up. I know every one I had has died. Hmm, who is an expert on anemones? Since the next meeting has been brought up, any volunteers to host the next 1? Should be August 17th, by my calendar.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would like to become more invovled. It is just that time thing. I will sincerely make an effort this fall!

I really like the idea of topic of the month. I know the problem that I see with the topic of the month for me, is that despite being in the hobby for 7 years, I still feel so inadequate in this hobby. I could, and I would not mind talking about my anemones but I feel like I am far from an expert.

Please email me and let's discuss this. [email protected].

I love the idea of an equipment exchange. I do not need any more frags right now.

Thanks,
Connie

·
Beanieboy
432 Posts
Ranran, we have a topic for this month, anenemoes. It seems that emerald crabs like bubble algea. We can put that on the slate for next month, if that is alright?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ryan: Just asking for input from others is very good and helpful for the group.

I am interested in all of the possible topics you have suggested. I would like to see members various reef setups. I would be interested in hearing how they handle various problems and situations. What equipment do they have installed, livestock, What preventive maintenance do they do. My interest includes all tank sizes and setups from bare bones to elaborate and complex .

I like Tammy’s ideas too.

frlejo : I can’t volunteer to host yet, maybe in Sept or Oct. Problem is that folks might not like the drive to my house as I live north 35 miles. If you are having a problem with getting volunteers to host, seems like we could use a park in the summer months.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
good ideas...

I know...i've been MIA for months.....I'm not seen much anymore at meetings because i started reeflabs.com, and the internet is great at serving all our needs as a group...but I'll still try and be a helpful member when i can!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.