The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone originally when I started my tank I decided to go with CC however I have recently started thinking about going with LS is their anyone that can give me a rough rundown on the pros & cons of each substrate originally I went with CC because I heard that it keeps the tank params buffered better. Also im in a 60g tank and if it's advised that I go with LS over my CC what would be the best way to make the switch should I let the sand populate bateria by sitting it in my old canister filter?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
You are making the right choice. But I woulnt use LS, I would use dry sand. LS when added to an established tank can cause a mini cycle.

When you decide to do it, do it in stages like 1/3rd of the tank at a time, or break the tank down and change it all at once. Make sure you rinse the sand very very very thoroughly if using dry sand. If you break the tank down completely and change it, then you can go ahead and use LS, just be prepared to keep your fish and corals in another separate container for a few weeks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are making the right choice. But I woulnt use LS, I would use dry sand. LS when added to an established tank can cause a mini cycle.

When you decide to do it, do it in stages like 1/3rd of the tank at a time, or break the tank down and change it all at once. Make sure you rinse the sand very very very thoroughly if using dry sand. If you break the tank down completely and change it, then you can go ahead and use LS, just be prepared to keep your fish and corals in another separate container for a few weeks.

ok I have read that sand gets dirty alot fster then CC is it hard to keep pretty and white? also can I just get the dry sand like 40 lbs and just let it set in my canister filter with water to develop the bacteria?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Actually I find it easier to keep it clean. It doesnt trap detitus like CC does. No, do not put it in your canister filter, that will just preload the sandbed with garbage.

·
Registered
415 Posts
About three years ago I started a reef tank using cc. Not knowing that most use sand. Ive been thinking about changing it since i put it in. Now i have grown to like it. Have had no problems yet, And not looking for any.Just thought id share that info

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About three years ago I started a reef tank using cc. Not knowing that most use sand. Ive been thinking about changing it since i put it in. Now i have grown to like it. Have had no problems yet, And not looking for any.Just thought id share that info

how often do you do PWC and other matainience with your mechanical filtration etc?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I been doing normal wc, 8 to 10 gal every couple of weeks. Its a 60 gal with a 20 gal sump, and fuge. About every 3rd wc i ( LIGHTLY) stir up the surface of the cc. I have never had a problem with nitrates, have never had hair alge. My 90gal is bb , not because i like bb. Im undecided on witch way to go.JRL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts