The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a 55 gallon tank and want to know more about seeding some dead rock, I want about 70 pounds of live rock total, how long would it take to seed 50 pounds of dead rock with a 20 pounds live rock? I also am planning on sanding 40 pounds of live sand. I am in no rush for a reef tank as this is going to be my first saltwater tank.

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
It would be seeded before you know it, I mean if you keep up on your WC's and all that it will start to spread and the rock will seed your sand as well in time, you could get a little bit of sand from your LFS out of a tank thats running there and spread it out and just like anything in this hobby with a little time and good maintenance things will take off

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I wouldn't think of it in terms of seeding the dead rock. You need the biological filter (the bacteria living in the rocks) to match the load (the amount of animals in the tank). In an over abundance of caution, and because this is your first tank, I'd suggest setting up the tank with all the rock, and placing a dead shrimp or two in with it. Then start monitoring ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If ammonia and/or nitrite spikes, hold off on adding any animals until they become undetectable. Then start out with one small animal, and slowly work your way up.

The microbes from the live rock will begin migrating to the dead rocks almost immediately. It's not important which rock the microbes are living on though. What's important, is how many microbes you have.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
20 pounds will seed the rest fine but as for how long, there are several variables to consider. What livestock is going in the tank and how much?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying! :) Im going to seed because lr is soooo expensive, the inhabitants of the tank are going to be 2 clownfish, a blue or yellow tang, a diamond goby ( maybe) and that's all I've planned for, ( other then the hermit crabs, starfish,shrimp, snails ect.) Then after seeing how they go get some anenome, corals, feather dusters, ect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
u seed your dead rock buy putting your live rock all around it and u can use purpel up should take a mounth or 2 and u can even scrape off some of your live rock and place it on the dead rock just take care to not have it where u have a flow of water at and keep the lights on 8 to 10 hrs a day if u run t5ho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts