The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my 2 Eclectus Parrots. The green one is a male and the red is a female. Kinda cool that this is the only species of parrots that you can tell the sex so easily by looking at them. I have had the male (Carter) for about a year and the female(Holly) for about a week. Crazy story but i bought and sold Holly at a pet store I worked at and then I saw her in the paper for sale and coudlnt believe that she was being sold again already so I had to get her and give her a good home. My fiance is the one that named her like 7 months ago. Pretty crazy situation but glad that she is with us now. I also had another female eclectus (Hailey) a while back but she passed away after about a year of having her with major liver and kidney failure. Something they think she was born with. Anyways heres some pics hope they work.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
that red and blue parrot is awesome looking! she must look really cool when she spreads her wings out. see if you can get a pic of that!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I love Eclectus!!!!! You are so lucky to have a pair of them. Are you planning on breading them?:idea:
I would love to hear the story of the female sometime.
Gotta wonder sometimes why people take on such a huge responsiblity when they are not fully prepared. They are so much like children in the way they need care and a lot of people do not realize the time and devotion it takes to have parrots.
Congrats to you on your new "baby" (Lucky Carter)!;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You! Yes they are a lot of responsibility and work. But they are difinitly worth every second of it. I was hoping to one day breed them but from what I have read they do not become sexually mature until about 5 years of age. Also if they are to tame they sometimes wont breed either. So considering mine are very very tame and good with kids to they might not breed. but when the time comes I will defintily try. Also I will try to get some pics of them with there wings out. I am hoping to introduce them to Saltys macaw he just got. Hopefully they will get along. Thats a funny story too, I dont know if you guys have seen but eric has definitly gotten meaddicted to saltwater so I had to get some payback and now look who just spent $750 on a macaw.LOL Maybe our fiances are right its not good when we hang out. They think we come up with to many ideas of expensive things to buy. But like I told his fiance he made me spend all my money!! Now he has to spend all his.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Coool!

Got a couple of Lovebirds myself, but not near as good looking as Eclectus. Love the Green one. Funny alot of people with fish also have bird's. Mine love to playabove my tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts