The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Was wondering about my anenome. Its the first one Ive had and it has been doing fine for about 3 weeks now it seems like it has turned its stomach inside out. Its still moving around but not looking to good. Should I pull it out or any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.
chris

·
11,345 Posts
its a goner i would say. The first 3 anemones i had all did the same thing to some extent. I had them under inadequate lighting. I of course didnt know it at the time and they only turned themselves inside out like that after eating something of signifigant size......but i still think it was the stress of the lights that caused it. I could be wrong but i havent had any problems with any anemones under halides.
what lights do you have??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the aquapod 12 gallon setup. I had a clown fish but I think the anenome ate him. Was there one day gone the next.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
maybe lighting. What are your water change habits? An anenome is mostly made of water so it stands to reason that any issues with the water will have a huge impact on the animal. Kinda sounds like a combination of these things but lights are an issue I would say for sure,

Robert

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I had one and I was always told if it looks like he is inside out it's a goner. How big is your tank again? If your tank is not very big and your anemone is I would be careful as it can pollute the tank pretty quickly. I would doubt that it ate the clown, but then again stranger things have happened. If it stinks it's dying and needs to come out. I lost my first BTA like that, but the second one I've had for over 6 months now.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Welcome to TRT! :wavey:

Anemones are fickle creatures. They need perfectly clean water and very stable salinity and pH. A sabae needs MH lighting to thrive; any less and they will need to be supplementally fed.

Here is Mike's (skeety's) website with the page featuring his sabae and how he brought it back. Lots of good info.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
No expert but I dont think a twelve gallon cant handle anemone. I tried to keep a condy in one and it almost died so I gave hime to a friend with a large tank. Most say 30 gallon minimum for anemones. And lighting like others have said is very important do you have the mh version of the aquapod? Without out the light the anemone will die and it could kill everything in your tank if it does. Hope things work out tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its really weird it will look like its turning its self inside out and now its pulled everything back in?????? Thanks for the website on how to help bring it back I will give that a try. Any other help or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks for all the prompt response's you guys have given!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Well since it has very little zooxanthellae hosting in it right now light is not currently an issue.

Do lots of research; try to nurse it back to health. It really isn't all that hard, just takes lot's of attention and follow through. :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have heard of a few that did okay even after turning inside out. Hope it works out for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts