The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a seahorse from my regular pet shop and was advised by the owner that the seahorse will eat anything that is made of vegetable. I have try to feed him with flake but the seahorse doest not seem to be interested and it seems to be a bit stress up. Can anyone in TFT advise on the food :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
From what I understand these guys are real picky. You need lots of pods in the tank for them to graze they are kind of like madarins in that respect. The will also eat brine shrimp. They sell a feeder for them put the shrinp in and it will sink and they will pick.

I never kept these for these reasons =( Good luck.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Vincent,

I am not sure what kind of seahorse you received, however it has been my experience that most seahorses are carnivors. My seahorses did not like eating anything that wasn't alive and moving. Usually hunting them for a minute before eating. I had Pygmies which lives off of enriched baby brine shrimp but yours maybe larger. If it is a a captive bred one, I would try frozen brine shrimp,and/or mysis shrimp. At least see if it is eating frozen yet. Then go for the live, ie grass shrimp, rotifers, brine shrimp. You will have to enrich any brine shrimp for the seahorse since they don't contain a whole lot of nutrietional value.
Baby guppies is also another thing to try. My pipefish loved them and baby mollies. I just had a live bearere tank setup and it just produced tons.

Ray

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Ah! I see seeaffe beat me to it with the url! Good luck Vincent on your seahorse! Built a nice corral for him!;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts