The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the market 4 a pair of erectus seahorses (preferably captive bred). so here are my two options. my lfs owner (who ive known 4 like 6yrs who is very nice 2 me and im loyal to him) who occassionally gets in tank raised ones but the last ones he had did not eat frozen and both died and they werent a pair and they were $70 each. he has a 72hr guarentee. the only reason i would buy from him is because im a loyal customer. my other choice would b saltwaterfish.com (who ive bought from b4 and liked them alot). they have captive bred erectus pairs eating frozen food for $120. they have a 15 day guarentee. and i have a 15% off coupon for their store. i need ur guys opinions. thx.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favour and buy from seahorsesource.com in Florida.
Dan Underwood not only has the quality stock at FAIR pricing, he is the most helpful individual in the business, even if you aren't buying from him.
If you are already a membery on the best seahorse forum, seahorse.org, you will know just how much he means to the hobbyists not only for his stock but his volunteer advice and information.
If you haven't already done so, take a look at the links at the bottom of the "My Thoughts" page linked in my signature.
Those links can help you make up your mind on where to buy.
If you are buying from other than a breeder like seahorsesource, ask who the breeder is and if they can't tell you or won't, the seahorses are almost certainly tank raised in ocean water that hasn't been sufficiently treated and filtered to remove the pathogens inherent in the ocean water.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do yourself a BIG favour and buy from seahorsesource.com in Florida.
Dan Underwood not only has the quality stock at FAIR pricing, he is the most helpful individual in the business, even if you aren't buying from him.
If you are already a membery on the best seahorse forum, seahorse.org, you will know just how much he means to the hobbyists not only for his stock but his volunteer advice and information.
If you haven't already done so, take a look at the links at the bottom of the "My Thoughts" page linked in my signature.
Those links can help you make up your mind on where to buy.
If you are buying from other than a breeder like seahorsesource, ask who the breeder is and if they can't tell you or won't, the seahorses are almost certainly tank raised in ocean water that hasn't been sufficiently treated and filtered to remove the pathogens inherent in the ocean water.
ok thx. i actually decided to go with seahorsesource. the only thing i dont like is that u dont know ur shipping costs until after its shipped. what do u think a shipping estimate would b for a male and female H. erectus? $130 in total. it would be shipping 2 palatine, IL

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
I can't help with the shipping costs because anything I buy from the US is VERY high in shipping here to Canada.
Why not e-mail Dan and ask if he can ball park shipping costs for you?
You'll never find a more helpful guy and I wish I could buy from him.
Unfortunately, as long as people like you keep buying up all his stock, he has no incentive to go through the PITA work to get Cites and Vet papers to ship here.
What is your tank size and how many seahorses are you going to put in the tank? Do you have a sump or refugium hooked into the system?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't help with the shipping costs because anything I buy from the US is VERY high in shipping here to Canada.
Why not e-mail Dan and ask if he can ball park shipping costs for you?
You'll never find a more helpful guy and I wish I could buy from him.
Unfortunately, as long as people like you keep buying up all his stock, he has no incentive to go through the PITA work to get Cites and Vet papers to ship here.
What is your tank size and how many seahorses are you going to put in the tank? Do you have a sump or refugium hooked into the system?
I did email him i was just looking 4 a 2nd opinion. The tank is 28g no sump/fuge and im planning on keeping only 1 pair of erectus. and what do u mean people like me?

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
I would say that whatever Dan told you the shipping costs would be are going to be pretty close unless he's never shipped to your area before. (which I doubt)
As for " people like you", it means people that take advice to buy from seahorse source.
In other words, if no one heeded the advice, Dan would have left over seahorses that may then entice him to go to all the trouble to ship seahorses to me in Canada.:blob::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts