The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so our female seahorse passed away and it's been two weeks now since we lost her :( (It wasn't due to water quality or anything of that nature; her head got stuck in the slits for the overflow and she wasn't able to get out. That problem has been corrected.)

I was wondering if any of our wonderful fellow reefers may have a seahorse that they'd like to sell or get rid of?

Our male is h. reidi, so of course, they'd have to be compatible.

He's looking a little lonely, although he's doing well, so we'd like to get a companion for him ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
We have a few here in Gainesville at Aquatropics. I'm not sure just how good they were acclimated but they do have them. I'm not a seahorse guy but they are the large black ones about 6" or so.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'd check with Mickey57 if he has any. Maybe he'll check in here and can reply to you. If not, check with Jojon .. she might have his number that you could call him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No I sure don't sorry. It stinks though now since there are only 2 lfs here and the other one just acquired new owners and raised the prices :(

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
aquatropics had the reidi tankraised seahorses a few weeks ago. That's were we bought ours, they've done really well. I think they were like $25 apiece?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have you found your Reidi yet, Me and Mickey have Erectus seahorses and they should not be housed with Reidi. Didn't I see where Robs had gotten some in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry all- just saw this thread. I didn't realize anyone had replied to it. I got a pair of beautiful Tiger Tail Seahorses from Rob's Reef. He has about four left, if anyone else is interested. I wish I could take them all, but we don't have a big enough tank as of yet.

Here are some pictures of our two beauties:

The yellow one is still a little skinny, but we're working on fattening her up :)

Thanks, Rob!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here is the page I was tring to send to you.
Its from seahorse.org. Hope it works.

Instructions for gut-loading (not growing out) adult brine shrimp…

• Set up a separate container than the one the Brine Shrimp are being raised in. This will be your enrichment tank. (A 2.5g tank works well as does a bucket or other container). Match the water parameters of the enrichment tank to the tank the Brine Shrimp are being grown in.

• Remove a glass full of water from the tank and add a very small amount of your enrichments to the glass. Good products to use for enrichment include an an Astaxanthin containing product like NatuRose or PhytoPlan, Beta Glucan an immune system booster, Chlorella, and Spirulina. (Note: Tahitian Algae Paste can be used in place of several of these products as it already contains them as ingredients). If the Seahorses are very young, sick, or underweight a HUFA enrichment product such as Selco, Super Selco, or AlgaMac-3050 would be good to use. Many of the products mentioned appear expensive, however, you actually use very small amounts at a time so a little goes a long way.

• Use a handheld mixer or personal blender to thoroughly mix the products.

• Pour the mixture into the enrichment tank and let the Brine Shrimp feed for at least 2hrs.

• After 2hrs have elapsed, remove a portion of the Brine Shrimp to be fed, gently rinse them, then add them to the Seahorse's tank.

To deworm WC Seahorses gut-load the Brine Shrimp with the medication. Finish one deworming regimen before moving on to the next.

FLAGYL (deworming) Doseage and Preparation Instructions
Active Ingredient: Metronidalzole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Flagyl to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Flagyl to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the mixture for at least 2hrs.
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.
• Observe the Seahorse to be certain it is eating the adult brine shrimp.

PANACUR (deworming) Doseage and Preparation Instructions
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
Indication: worms and other internal parasites
Feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Panacur to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• Add 2ml (~1/2 tsp) of Panacur to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the mixture for at least 2hrs.
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.

PRAZIPRO (deworming) Doseage and Preparation Instructions
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Indication: worms and other internal parasites
Feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Panacur to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of PraziPro to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, over the past two months, we never had any luck with getting our girls to eat, so we finally made the trip out to Sachs Aquaculture in St. Augustine yesterday afternoon and got some live "shore shrimp" (aka Ghost Shrimp) and a bag of copepods.

Nick and I weren't sure how the girls would react to the shrimp, but lo and behold, as soon as the first one made it down towards them, SNICK! Nick and I squealed - yes, we squealed like little girls ;)

They're eating the live Ghost Shrimp (which we've gut-loaded) and they look better already, although we still have a LONG ways to go before they're in the clear. We're going back to Sachs next weekend to get some live mysis, as he was completely out yesterday. THEN starts the process of weaning them from live mysis to frozen.

I'm up for the challenge - We're just glad that they're finally eating! :thumbup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am sooo glad you got them to eat. Here is a link to a place I get small salt water shrimp, these you can add to the tank and they are great little scavengers till the ponys eat them. When I go out of town I order them and just load up my tanks. They hunt while I am away.
http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/
Go down about half way and you will sea marine shrimp. They stay real small.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts