The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Petsmart carries them, If you end up hating it you can just return it. I recommend a tunze 9002 skimmer. I haven't seen the Sea Clone 100 in action, I'm not sure how 'bad of a skimmer' it really is but I imagine there are much better performers for the money. Check out an Aqua-C remora also.

· Registered
802 Posts
they only make a 65 and a 125 i think, maybe a 200. hear the 65 and 200 are good but the 125 isn't that great. a 65's prob a lil big for yours. someone might have a better suggestion.

my 65 was 80 or 90 on amazon shipped.

· Registered
827 Posts
I can speak for the Tunze 9002 skimmer. It's great. No complaints here.
Leaks no bubbles into the display, I'll post pics of the skimmate if you like. It's virtually hidden in the corner and it constantly pulls smuk!

It's behind the magfloat and left of the skimmer. Since I don't have a sump I enjoy having an intank skimmer that is well hidden.

After researching countless hours, general opinion on HOB skimmers; not as efficient as in sump, in line skimmers and chance of leak. I was seriously considering an aquaC but i figured a great benefit of being sumpless is not having to worry about the chance of a flood! That was another reason I chose Tunze for my 29. I am completely biased on this topic of course, but if you joined the club i'm sure you would have similar results.

Good luck!

+ on a side note, notice the nem? I have another thread, I'm not sure what to do if any of you can help....
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/her-bottom-is-pink-and-swollen-130399.html

· Premium Member
2,880 Posts
is it that bad of a skimmer?
In a word, YES!

The problem with the SeaClone is the overall design is flawed, so it really makes little difference on the size of the tank...the water simply overflows back out of the unit with no real way to control the water level...all you can do is increase or decrease the air going into the unit which effects the water level...good skimmer designs either allow the collection cup to be raised and lowered or have some type of valve or adjustment on the water exit which controls the water level without having to limit the air going into the unit...with a Seaclone it's always a case of tinkering to try and get enough air to make foam but still keep the water level high enough for the foam to climb the riser tube...most of the time you have too much or too little of one or the other and so you're constantly readjusting...I've done all the mods that are suggested and even then the amount of skimmate is dismal...save your money for a "real" skimmer.

Then again you don't really even need one...I run a monster skimmer on my 125, but there are three different nanos in my house that are all 24 gallons and all we do for those is weekly water changes...under 30 gallons and a skimmer really isn't as "necessary" IMO.

· I've got the REEF rash!
64,175 Posts
they only make a 65 and a 125 i think, maybe a 200. hear the 65 and 200 are good but the 125 isn't that great. a 65's prob a lil big for yours. someone might have a better suggestion.

my 65 was 80 or 90 on amazon shipped.
The biggest is 220 not 200 and the 125 is there worse model.65 would be great on yours!

· Registered
7,503 Posts
I had a seaclone along time ago and to be honest it worked ok for about a yr then fell apart. It needs constint adjusting and even then its just ok. I had a corlife super skimmer and it work Great!! The only problem I had with was salt build up but if you keep it clean(clean once a month) you cant beat it. I have a aquac and to be honest it doesn seem to pull as much as the corallife did but the stuff the aquac mate is much much much thicker so that a good thing.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
whatever you do don't get a seaclone 100!!! :D i had one and it was terrible. it barely worked half the time, and when it did work it would take a week (if not more) to make skimmate not even an inch thick...it was crazy!

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Let me put it this way, there was a seaclone for sale in the local club for 5 dollars.... I don't know if anyone ever bought it. I considered it for 5 bucks for a QT (more for aeration than skimming) but decided it wasn't really worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.