The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I havent really posted in a while as I have been extremely busy finishing off my school and exams. With these finally over I had a weeks rest before having to move my tank to the new house we were moving into. Everything went exceptionally well without any problems but after catching my urchin I came off with more battle scars than he did.

It has been two weeks since the sting and the mark is still there but I can safely say I have survived lol.

Other than the urchin sting there was only one other major event that nearly destroyed the perfect tank move. A day after I had set it up in the new house, with no fish or coral death at all, we all decided to go out for dinner as a family. It wasnt until we got home afterwards where the fun began to start. The first smell that met us when we opened the door was electrical smoke. There was only one possible thing in the house that could have been causing this... my tank. I rush over to find that one of the pumps had been spraying water out of the tank and straight onto the powerboards behind, causing them to arch and spark all over the place, nearly setting fire to the house that we had only been in for one day. The culprit who caused the pump to spray all of the water out of my tank... the urchin once again. He decided it would be a great idea to wonder off and knock the pipe off the pump which resulted in it spraying at least 20litres of water through the top and onto the carpet and powerboards. With this loss of water there also came the drop in salinity as my auto-top off pumped in all 14 litres possible to try and maintain the water level.

Amazingly nothing too drastic had to be done apart from the sacrifice of a few towels and a small water change to get the salinity back up again and its now been 3 weeks and everyone couldnt be happier. I just thought I might as well have shared my experience because Im sure i'll take everything into account when I move any tanks in the future.

Cheers,
Harvey

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
I have been "hit" by an urchin before, but nothing like that....I have had the arcing issues (light cap was lose and it smelled bad...burning plastic...yuck). Lucky you got home when you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts