The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pink sea urchin yesterday ( actualy I bought it thursday and waited till tank perimeters were just right), I aclimated him and 2 fish. All night he moved around the tank cleaning and then this morning he stopped and started losing his spines. They are just falling off/

Any idea what is going on? The water perameters are fine, the lfs tested is and so did I. He dont like to sell his fish with out a sample of water at time of purchase. He said it may be stress but he was very active last night and seemed to be doing great. In a matter of 8-9 hours he went from a perfect example to losing half his spines.

Any experiances with this???

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
How did you acclimitize this echinoderm?

What is the tank temp?

What is your tank's salinity?

What is your system's pH at what time of day?

Do you have an Automatic topoff for the tank?

How often do you do water changes, and how do you make your ASW for the changes?

How do you measure your salinity/SG?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
And:

how long was the urchin in the LFS's tanks before you bought it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you acclimitize this echinoderm? Let bag set in tank for 40 minutes then added 1 cup of water from the tank every ten minutes for 40 minutes.

What is the tank temp? Tank temp is 78 degrees, no temp change at night.

What is your tank's salinity? 450 yesterday and today.

What is your system's pH at what time of day? Always been 8.2 - 8.4 when I check it morning or night.

Do you have an Automatic topoff for the tank? No

How often do you do water changes, and how do you make your ASW for the changes? 30% change done on Thursday. RO water is mixed in designated aquarium buckets, salt is added and tested, temp tested then added to the tank.

How do you measure your salinity/SG? I measure specific gravity with a... whats that plastic thing with the floating dial called? lol 1023 sg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Urchin was in the LFS for 4 days, arrived on Wed I bought on Thursday and brought it home on Saturday after tank setting were all in spec.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Short acclimitization for these creatures is usully lethal, especially if the system it came from has a markedly different salinity from the final salinity. This is often compounded by a weakening of the specimen by faiilure of the LFS to do slow drip acclimitization when introduced to their system from the shipping bags. They might survive one big change, but usually not two.

ALWAYS use a slow acclimitization when introducing echinoderms with ambulacral systems of locomotion (Linckia spp., Fromia spp, etc., and most urchins) rapid changes in salinity almost always result in damage to these hydrovascular systems, and enough damage to these systems often results inlosses of specimens in these classes of echinoderms, as is witnessed by "exploding" sea stars and sensitive spp of urchins that come primarily from habitats where they have not necessarily evolved the tidal responsese that some intertidal spp. display. These susceptible spp. are usually the ones like Tuxedo urchins or pin-cushion urchins that have long clear tentacle-like pseudopods arising from the tests of the urchin's body.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully the urchin will pull through, but once they start dropping spines, the end is near.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Think about getting a refractometer rathaer than a swing arm hydrometer, much more accurate means of measuring salinity.

It would be smart to mix your SW 24 hours prior to use to get the salinity, alkalinity, and pH to stabilize as they come to equilibrium with atmospheric CO2 in you home. Consider getting an automatic top-off system established if you intend to keep echinoderms, otherwise the system is subjected to a daily swing of salinities as you top off, then evaporate water for 24 hours, then top-off again...

Not sure what you mean by saying your salinity is 450, not to be snide, but 450 what? Is this a conductance meter? If so, would you post the salinity converion for your brand of meter?

For your pH testing, you may want to get a PinPoint pH meter: you'll find that there is a diurnal swing in pH based on what time of day you're testing, an it may make a difference when introducing certain specimens to your tank.

So sorry to hear about the demise of the urchin, I really like these little creatures (I have three in my 180 and one in the prop system). Hopefully once you get the system to a more stable point in terms of salinity, you'll have a successful acquisition of another specimen.

An Pix of what you have now?

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Wow i just learend a lot about this ! Tom Thanks for the info !

As for the Refractometer's ya can get a cheap one from EBay 40 bucks i know a few people that have gotten em and are happy with them :thumpup:

As for the loss of the sea urchin i hope it pulls through !! and ya got any photos ?

BTW just wondering what is the size of your tank ?

Good Luck !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts