The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my male seahorse has edema, is there anyone out their who can explain it to me please.
Thanks Anney

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
How did you diagnose the edema?
Edema is normally considered to be a failure in the kidneys that causes a swelling due to fluid build up. The seahorse does not float, and may sink to the bottom.
It can be confused with Gas Bubble Disease, which is a gas build up and causes the seahorse to float.
If it is a male, and floating, it may be just the pouch and you have to expel the gases from the pouch.
For treatment, you need acetazolamide which may require a prescription.
Description of treatment is found HERE but you will probably have to join the "org to view it I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edema

Rayjay and Geoff in answer to your question, i didn't exactly diagnose the edema, however being a nurse I am familiar with the signs and symptoms in humans. when my seahorse started to swell I became concerned and rang a vet who is studying marines and we discussed the seahorse. Initially I thought he could be pregnant however he doesn't look like the pictures of other pregnant seahorses, and after massaging his pouch twice with no visible air emerging I joined both The Reef Tank and Seashorse.org and posted pictures. Due to the time difference in Oz to the rest of the world I also posted the question here hoping to get a response quickly. I have just finished setting up a hospital tank, acquired and have dissolved the Diamox and am about to put seahorse and diamox into the tank and pray that I am not too late to save him.
Kind regards Anney

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Mork" is still alive this morning after his first 12 hours in the hospital tank, he wasn't happy when I put him in however he settled when I covered the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts