The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,
I am at a friends house and she has a sea clone protien skimmer... it has been hooked up since dec and has not produced foam- ever!
I fiddled wiht it today, clened off salt creep, fiddled, adn adjusted the air flow, there are bubbles and a tornado, but no foam rising.... PLEANTY to skim...
how long until we see foam? anything else we can do do get this baby working?

PS I know you all aren't so keen on the seaclone, but it's alerady in the tank so if the advice is junk it let's assume that has already been given:rolleyes:
THANK GUYS
Amy

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I ran a seaclone for about 6 months on a tank and finnaly fixed it by replacing it with an excaliber. I never got more than a couple tea spoons of skimmate a month out of it. I have no advise on fixing it or tuning it other than replacing it. I beleive xaoss has one that he modified to work. I am thinking a larger pump with a needle wheel on it would be the only solution. The rio 800 is just not large enough to work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mine is working.. I think. I am getting about 1/4 inch a week out of it.

I ran it for one day with no air.

I ran it for two hours with just a little air.

Then every half hour I turned 1/4 turn untill the bubbles were breaking just above the center tube. DSC05469.JPG

Two days latter and still not getting much bubbles turned it up just 1/2 turn more and started to see some bubbles coming over the top of the cup.

Took this picture just now.
I cleaned this cup at 12:00 today DSC05465.JPG

For the Money I think it is doing ok, But I have nothing to compair it to.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
No foam for almost 9 months? Geez. So basically your friend has been running her tank without a skimmer. How does it look? What does she have in the tank? How big is the tank? The reason I ask is because if things are OK, don't worry about right now. There are plenty of tanks that run without skimmers and do really well. Tell her to put a good value skimmer (coralife super skimmer or remora) on her Christmas or birthday wish list. I don't see why it can't wait. JMO

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
YLChik said:
so some more real help from those of you that have adjusted it and got it working please :drool:
The problem is that there are so few people that have done that. Send xaoss a PM he will be more than happy to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
My seaclone is in my local land fill, i now run a Corallife Supperskimmer the 125 model on my 75 gallon, i get about a quarter gallon of green tea every 2 days,{ i skimm wet } i was running 2 SS's a 65 gallon to, but i found that the 125 was working so well i did not need the 65 any more.
JMO
Brent.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I had a Seaclone150 on my 46g for 4 years and I got tons of skimmate out of it after I did a couple of key mods. I don't know the site right off, but I saw the biggest improvement after I did the following:

Add an airstone
- drill a small (1/4") hole in the top of the collection cup lid
- take a piece of rigid airline and attach an airstone to the end (using a short piece of flexible airline)
- run the rigid airline through the collection cup so that airstone sits in the middle of the riser tube at the base of the skimmer (you can use a rubber band wrapped around the rigid tubing to adjust the height)
- attach one end of a piece of flexible tubing to the rigid tubing and the other to an air pump.

Basically, you are adding alot more agitation and bubbles to the reaction chamber so there's more contact with the dissolved solids.

The other thing I did was to remove the filter sponge on the intake side of the Maxijet and replace the cheap air valve with a better screw-type valve.

After I performed these mods, I would get a cup full of dark brown skimmate every few days. They're not expensive and it's a ton cheaper than replacing the whole thing. I hope that helps; if you have any more questions shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tank specs

they have been running a freshwater type filter ( you know carbon spills over back into the tank - I don' t know what this type of filter is called
45 gallon fish only - no live rock rock substrate - like 3 inches and didn't really test h20 did monthly 10% water changes and had "unexplained fish death, a urchin and brittle star that "exploded" I said water parameters were probably leathal. :doh:
About 3 weeks ago the tank heated up to 108 and fried everything in it. Before I started fiddling with the skimmer they didn't even have bubbles in the chamber, the air valve was shut... yeah... I've told them to come here lots before trying again :0)
Thanks for the help guys
OH what skimmer would you reccomend on a 55 gallon?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
YLChik said:
they have been running a freshwater type filter ( you know carbon spills over back into the tank - I don' t know what this type of filter is called
45 gallon fish only - no live rock rock substrate - like 3 inches and didn't really test h20 did monthly 10% water changes and had "unexplained fish death, a urchin and brittle star that "exploded" I said water parameters were probably leathal. :doh:
About 3 weeks ago the tank heated up to 108 and fried everything in it. Before I started fiddling with the skimmer they didn't even have bubbles in the chamber, the air valve was shut... yeah... I've told them to come here lots before trying again :0)
Thanks for the help guys
OH what skimmer would you reccomend on a 55 gallon?

Coarllife 125 Supperskimmer! JMO
Brent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts