The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the size of the outlets on these things? I have been looking at the "Squid" wavemaker for a few days now. Am trying to come up with a thing that will even come close to natural waves. The powerheads shutting on and off stopped making sense to me. Then even the tornados of water did to. Basically it all boils down to the same thing. I was even looking at these 400 dollar boxes that mount in the corner of your tank and suck up water from the middle and bottom and expell it from the top and are supposed to make natural wave effects.

Now I am looking at trying something a little odd. I am back to 4 MJ1200 PH's, but am thinking of something different. Maybe getting the smallest pump that I can find that pushes around 1300 GPH. Then putting it in the lower left hand backside corner of my tank. Running a piece of tubing up to the bottom of a SQWD that will be near the surface. Then running 3/4 inch PVC piping (whatever PCV), around the entire lip of my tank at the top. There will then of course be two sets of pipes. I will cap off the end of the pipes at each end where it stops at the front upper right hand corner of my tank. Then add "locline" plumbing coming off about every 9 inches or so. Have it Y off where the locline is and use direct spray nozzles. That way the squid pushes it to the left, it hits about 4 sections of locline that are all tucked under the upper lip of my tank and then switches it back to the right doing the same thing.

In a nutshell a complete square of PCV piping hidden around the entire upper lip of my tank, the oscilates the current from right to left causing extreme caos and about the closes thing that I can get to actual water movements. I know this was long, but any thoughts???

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,653 Posts
My SCWD has 3/4 inch barbed fittings, look at my 15 conversion thread for how I hooked it up, the thread is in the BB section.

The problem with the SCWD is that there is allot of restriction on the input, although the OD is 3/4 the ID is less than 1/2. At 500GPH they switch every 5 sec or so, at 1300 I think it would blow up, maybe have that flow t'eed into 2 SCWD's?

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHAHAHHAHAHA, I dont know why that so funny. I can just picture the thing exploding in my tank because I have had about every other mishap occur.

It claims that is has a max outflow of around 1400GPH though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts