The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Quick question regarding plumbing a wavemaking device to a CLS application:

I just bought a new house and have to decide how I am going to design my wavemaking flow for a new 270g acrylic I will plumb. On my current 260g glass tank, I have a Hammerhead providing flow through 6 1.5" returns for a gentle but constant return flow. I would like to go to an oscillation method and cycle through different returns via a wavemaking device such as a SCWD or OceansMotions wavemaker and using loc-line to direct streams.

These wavemaking items are generally rated for 1500gph or so. The Hammerhead is 5200gph at 0 head (I won't be going up much to return to the tank). They also only have a 1" feed/output. So, do I need to "T" the Hammerhead and plan to run two or three of these units to appropriately direct the lowered flow amounts into them accordingly? Any photos or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Ken

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Personally i would get the Oceans Motions before a SCWD. The SCWD takes up way too much flow, up to 1/3 or so. They also are limited as to what they can handle and it isn't much relatively speaking. The OM products are more costly but well worth it. You can use fewer devices as they can have up to 8 outputs, they can handle far more flow and wont reduce the flow so you actually can get what you pay for from the pump. I have an OM Squirt and it is awesome. They are silent and well built, plumb right into threaded PVC and are, IMO, a better product over all. The design will allow for a better design in your plumbing manifold also. I dont have pics handy but there are some in my build thread from a while back. I have it on my return system.
I just dont see having a great pump, doing all kinds of plumbing just to lose a huge portion of your GPH.
If you go with one of the OM's you can have a much simpler and more efficient CLS. They also have great customer service and can answer all of your questions.
Bill has an 8 way on one of his tanks (Flyguy) and loves it.
I hope my long rambling post helped....

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
woops. Ignore post.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Will one OM 8 handle the output of a Hammerhead?

(thanks for the great read!)

-Ken
I *think* so, but best to call them. If I remember correctly the six way will handle a Barracuda and I think a Hammerhead also. They answer the phone and are very friendly and wil give you an answer on the spot.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I have two 1in SCWD's awaiting a future project. Very different from the old model. I can post pics in a day or so if anyone is interested in seeing the new SCWD inside and out.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be...actually, I have about a month, maybe two before I need to plumb. I would really be interested in your review of the product. While I *could* pay the $450 for the 8-way, I am not sure how I would explain the expense to the wife. The 1" SCWDs are about $85 each but then again, that simply gives you two returns and possibly restricts what I bought the Hammerhead for in the first place...

To me it sounds like the age-old dilemma in our hobby, what you *really* want is going to cost a small fortune, but something smaller might work but surely not as well? I am leaning towards biting the bullet but I would welcome a review if anyone has one. I will also give OM a call tomorrow and pique thier minds a little.

-Ken

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I want to see them as well. I have two of the 3/4" models and I started on a mod of them to a 1.5" DIY version and stopped when I found out about the 1" version.

superwizbang, it doesn't limit you to two outlets. You can put a T, or even 2 or 3 of them, on each outlet side of the SCWD. It isn't an OM but it will allow you to split it up and still be able to "spread it out".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts