The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any opinion on the efficiency of the Scum Sucker skimmer vs. the regular Prizm skimmer (not the pro deluxe). Any others in the $100 range that would beat both of them? I've got a 72 gallon reef.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i REALLY like the aquaclear aquatics model p-75 that i bought a while back. it works great. and came with a pump. for only 99 bucks.

i have no experience or opinion of the ss or prizm though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jay. Is that a sump-mount only, or does it have hang-on capability? I'd prefer to hang it on, as my sump space is too small for many accessories. Where'd ya get it?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i got mine through my lfs. there are some places on line that sell them, and i've seen a number of them at ebay and aquabid.

it's a sump mount only though, not a hang on. it doesnt take much foot space, but it still is sump mount.

but i see plenty of hang ons at ebay and aquabid as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jay, I'll take a look on th' Bay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Beachmutt, I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
for a 72g I would recommend the remora or remora pro. I know the remora is more expensive but in the long run you will be much happier. If you decide to get one get it with the maxi-jet pump and skimmer box. Check on ebay for a used one, you may find some good prices.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Chip Wick said:
Any one have any opinion on the efficiency of the Scum Sucker skimmer vs. the regular Prizm skimmer
I was wndering where Fishdaddy had been...

...oh wait!!! He's not really an attorney now, since he's DA JUDGE!!!:p :p :p

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For what it's worth, 've been running a Prism for about 6 months and had to upgrade to a Remora. The Prism started out OK, but the longer it goes, the louder it gets and less effective it seems. I've tore it down to the bare bones for a good cleaning and that doesn't seem to help out much either. Be careful of the tabs that hold the intake in. One of mine cracked and now the thing is a mess.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one TD! Reminds me of the atlantic salmon fly they have up here, called an egg sucking leech, aka the lawyer fly :p . Sounds like whatever I do, the Prizm ain't that good an idea. Good to know. I'll look into the Remora (Shark sucker rather than scum sucker??).

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
when i was looking into skimmers i was looking at the suckers bigger brother the titan, because of its adaptability in location. i could not find any references from anybody. they both look well designed.

if it means anything one of Dr. Ron's tanks uses a titan skimmer.

they are made by D and D Marine.

HTH,

G~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts