The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I tried looking around and this is what i found on the fish you are talking about.

Scribbled Rabbitfish, Siganus doliatus, has all of the popular Rabbitfish traits including exceptional coloration, algae grazing capabilities, general hardiness, and overall good demeanor. Also known as the Barred Spinefoot, its displays the “rabbit”-like snout. The Scribbled Rabbitfish is a mottling of brown and white as a juvenile. In adult coloration, it displays closely-woven striations of blue and yellow running vertically along the body. Using their specially-adapted mouths to graze on naturally-occurring algae, Rabbitfish do best with frequent feedings. Main foods provided should include vegetable matter such as Spirulina and other herbivore preparations such as Formula Two Frozen or Formula Two Pellet. Rabbitfish are typically considered reef-safe as they will ignore invertebrates. If not fed multiple times daily, they may choose to graze on some corals, including Soft Corals and Large Polyped Stony Corals. The spines of the Rabbitfish are venomous. So the Rabbitfish should always be handled with great care. Though a peaceful species, Rabbitfish are often kept quite compatibly with more aggressive species who do not bother it due to the stinging spines."

I dunno if this helps at all. Seems to me that if they are fed often then they should be fine. But it all comes down to if you have the time to give it the meals it needs to keep it satisfied. But i would think that on occasions it would start nipping at corals if it becomes hungry. Its probably one those fish where you have to take a risk with it. If i was in your position and i had corals i wouldnt go with it just in case i couldnt keep up with the feedings. Im sure there are plenty of other "reef-safe" fish that you could find as your centerpiece fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts