The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

What do people use to clean their back glass? Mine has a good amount of algae on it (non-coralline), and I would like to clean it. Problem is: A) It is painted, (B) my canopy is impossible to remove on my own. I was looking into picking up either the 24 or 36" Kent Pro-Scraper. Anyone have any experience with this product? Or is there something else people use on their big tanks to clean those "hard to reach" places? BTW my tank is a 180.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you don't want to spend the $20 dollars on the scraper and you have a glass tank buy a window scraper with an angled handle and attach a dowl rod to it. Works great and cost about $3. Another bonus is that the razor blades in your scraper are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is it is very hard to reach the back glass for me, so a plastic spatula would probably not do the trick. I don't mind plunking down $20 for the extended scraper if it actually does a decent job and doesnt just "brush" the back glass so to say. As far as snails go, that is another story (having snail issues I wont go into).

·
One Happy Member
874 Posts
I don't scrape the back. I leave it for the snails. After two years, it is now covered with purple coraline algae and has a cool three dimensional look.

I only clean the three sides.

Homer

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Same here Homer,

I only clean the three sides, I figured I should leave a big area for the snails to graze on.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
I use the Kent scraper and love it. And I don't clean the sides that offen.
Phantom...you mean I'm supposed to scrape off that coraline :funny:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use a pvc pipe with a slot I cut on a 45 degree angle to hold a metal blade. I clean 4 sides... I like the looks of the blue backround better than the coralline. Enough purple already! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.