The Reef Tank banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Talked to two other acrylic tank builders, both agreed the front, rear and both side pieces should be 1” acrylic, the top euro bracing and bottom acrylic is okay being 3/4”.

I sent all the pictures to the builder and they also agreed the seams don’t look acceptable.

they are rebuilding the tank free of charge, and using 1” acrylic on all sides and 3/4 acrylic on top and bottom. He promised the seams will be in much better shape this time around. He feels as if there was an issue with the acrylic bonding glue.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Glad to hear they are rebuilding it. I will bet it’s going to be prefect this time around.
thay should have caught that before shipping.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
I agree with Vinnie Scott.......that just doesn't look like 'quality' work to me.
SORRY for the aggravation.....
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Oh man, that is brutal!!! I'd be so disappointed in having to wait again. Do you know when to expect the new one? Is there anything you can do in the meantime like cycling rock or setting up gear?

Whiskey
Yes it extremely sad, but the wait is worth peace of mind and knowing my child and family is safe with a tank that has no structural irregularities.

I could get base rock and start cycling yes.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Yes it extremely sad, but the wait is worth peace of mind and knowing my child and family is safe with a tank that has no structural irregularities.

I could get base rock and start cycling yes.
It might help fill the time,...

Or you could make the tank out of cardboard to get an idea of size and start working on the best aquascape ever!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
It might help fill the time,...

Or you could make the tank out of cardboard to get an idea of size and start working on the best aquascape ever!

Whiskey
Good idea, or he can be like me, I still just stack my rock. Never did any of the nice aquascape. I’ve seen some amazing ones.

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Yea I will definitely be building one most likely with acrylic rods or pvc

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
Good idea, or he can be like me, I still just stack my rock. Never did any of the nice aquascape. I’ve seen some amazing ones.
POWER TO THE 'STACKERS'! 👍
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
If the rock is already alive, I'm on the stacker train right with you, but for dry/dead rock I take advantage and build something unique.

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Just talked to the builder today. Looks like it will be at least two months before the tank is done or more. They said the 1 inch acrylic is 4 weeks out alone. Then the build time on top of that

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
yea, but it is what it is. I just hope the end product is a safe, nicely built aquarium this time. I am giving them the opportunity in good faith to make things right.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts