The Reef Tank banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

Administrator
THAT'S AWESOME SCOTT! 馃憤 馃
Hack

Administrator
I be guessing that everything is honky dory with it?
Hack

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I be guessing that everything is honky dory with it?
Hack
I feel like the craftsmanship is pretty dang good with it! There are a few seams that had what looks like some acrylic "puddles" only on the inside. But it won't affect anything at all as it won't be a bare bottom, rather it have extra acrylic glue vs not enough. No cracks, no scratches, and it's crystal clear! Also it's perfectly level!

Super Moderator
I love acrylic, it鈥檚 my tank of choice. The tank I have now is 28 years old and looks as good as new Rotherham then some minor crazing on the bottom edge but nothing really noticeable. Plus weight is always a plus.

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I love acrylic, it's my tank of choice. The tank I have now is 28 years old and looks as good as new Rotherham then some minor crazing on the bottom edge but nothing really noticeable. Plus weight is always a plus.
This is my first acrylic tank! Looks great!

only thing that worries me about them is I read they are a bit less forgiving with stand tolerances than a glass tank. Although I must say our stand turned out very verygood

Super Moderator
So long as you have the stand level and solid bottom you should be fine. That thickness probably wouldn鈥檛 sag from weight, but best to have solid top on stand.
if you need drains to go though, just cut a small area to accommodate.

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
So long as you have the stand level and solid bottom you should be fine. That thickness probably wouldn't sage from weight, but best to have solid top on stand.
if you need drains to go though, just cut a small area to accommodate.
Yep that's exactly what we did, 3/4 inch plywood top, and 3/4 inch insulation board to help with any imperfections in plywood

i did cut a 29x7 1/2 rectangle out for all piping

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
alright everyone, does anyone have any experience with buffing acrylic? After closely examining the tank after cleaning with a microfiber towel..... my wife and I have discovered what looks to be like a "run of unbuffed/polished acrylic across the top half and left side of the front main viewing pane!" it almost looks as if it was literally just missed cause its like microscopic swirls in the acrylic that you can see but not feel with your fingernail.

I spoke with the builder and they have been so awesome about the whole situation! He told me to do myself a favor and pick up a NOVUS buffing/polishing kit along with cotton buffing wheels for my drill. He told me at some points throughout the tanks life, i will need to repair scratches no matter what due to the nature of acrylic. He told me that if I can't buff the swirling out that was found, that he was hire a professional from my area free of charge to repair/finish the missed area that needs buffed clear. awsome!

anyways, im going to attempt this on my own first and just was wondering if anyone has any experience with acrylic buffing with/without NOVUS acrylics products. From what i read online already, it seems novus is an amazing acrylic buffing/polishing product and all i need to do is follow the steps and use gentle pressure with the buffing wheels to to make sure i just dont let the product get dry and ALWAYS KEEP THE BUFFING WHEEL MOVING and to never let it spin still in a single area.

andddddd... here comes the anxiety again!

Super Moderator
Is it the inside or out? If outside its pretty easy, novus comes in 1,2,3 1 is final polish, 2 is for minor stuff and probably what is needed on you tank and 3 is for deeper scratches, if they re very minor you can even do by hand with some elbow grease.

Registered
One important point is to make sure your polishing pad is clean, a small piece of grit will make a worse problem.
It is really as simple as compounding a car.

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
awesome, thanks for the reply guys... kinda lost some sleep over it as I never had an acrylic tank... nor never buffed acrylic. I do have ALOT of experience with buffing and compounding cars as I used to have some street rods.

I will attempt this with a drill and new cotton buffing wheels... ill most likely start with novus 2 than go to 1 to polish it out with a microfiber towel. Yea its pretty crazy, cause i literally cant feel the swirling with my fingernail.. but they are definitely there cause you can distinctly see a line of CRYSTAL CLEAR acrylic then to a hazey swirly acrylic. I am pretty sure it just was a missed pass of the buffer wheel cause as i said, the swirls cant be fealt but they dont go away with just cleaner.

its on the outside.

Reef Cave
480g in progress!
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Alright guys, I鈥檓 in a bit of a bad situation here! After having someone familiar with acrylic tanks look at mine to give me the final go ahead to fill鈥. He had two major concerns ! He told me the size of the tank vs acrylic thickness is NOT CORRECT! He said that the tank should of been constructed with 1 inch acrylic. He had me call two different acrylic builders and both agreed this tank should be constructed using 1鈥 acrylic, not 3/4鈥.

Also, he had concerns of two seems which seems to have acrylic bonding issues / micro bubble issues. Please see pictures

Road surface Fluid Wood Asphalt Rectangle

Wood Rectangle Paint Tints and shades Hardwood

Wood Gas Tints and shades Window Paint

Tableware Liquid Water Fluid Solution

Super Moderator
Its hard seeing in the photo's because for a new tank it looks messy in the pictures. But if someone saw in person and knows acrylic they are probably correct. I would contact the maker,

Super Moderator
My tank isn鈥檛 that big and is 28 years older and it looks cleaner then that. It鈥檚 almost as if they rushed making it.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts