The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey everyone!

been working like a slave lately, but I have had time to get some things done. The sump is complete! And the tank stand is also Complete! We went wayyyyy overboard with the tank stand, But oh well…. Just piece of mind.

I will post some pictures of the 125 gallon sump and also the stand here this weekend at some point!
I was also able to pick up a dolphin 4750 pump and two finnex heaters (800w and 500w)!

·
Administrator
47,200 Posts
Looking back at what I said, I should clarify that he had a power ventilation system humidity activated due to the low humidity in Redding Ca caused a LOT of evap. I think evap was along the lines of 4-5 gallons a day

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
I have 2+ gallons a day on my 210 during the summer, more like 1 +/- in the cooler months.
I think evap was along the lines of 4-5 gallons a day
Scotty, NICE hearing from Ya. Yup, We'All looking forward to the pictures and up dates.
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looking back at what I said, I should clarify that he had a power ventilation system humidity activated due to the low humidity in Redding Ca caused a LOT of evap. I think evap was along the lines of 4-5 gallons a day
Yea for sure, my plan is to just get a decent dehumidifier and just build a shelf on the top half of the room and place it up there and let it drain to the sink I installed. HOT humid air always rises, so im thinking a dehumidifier raise up towards the top half of the 10ft high room will be able to control the humidity no problem, most likely even before the humid (salty?) air can reach ground level where the return duct to my HVAC system is in the room.

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
The stand and the converted 125 gallon long into sump are done !!! We went way way overboard on the stand build but hey, peace of mind! 4x6s with 2x6s added on all legs! Lol this stand could hold probably 1500g no problem!

Was able to install a gfci breaker on a dedicated 25 amp circuit and also added another 25 amp circuit for the room. I was able to run all the electrical through conduit to exterior receptacles. Got power! If I need to add another circuit, I can down the road.

Got the drywall started on the inside as well!

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Nice work! The scale is deceiving. I didn't really grasp how big it was until I realized my tank is a 125 long and it is dwarfed by the size of that stand. Will be following this for sure!

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nice work! The scale is deceiving. I didn't really grasp how big it was until I realized my tank is a 125 long and it is dwarfed by the size of that stand. Will be following this for sure!
Haha, yea for sure man! The sump is a 125g (72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8) We were so lucky the tank actually fit under the stand... we only had about 1/4 inch clearance on both sides! We had to remove the two front posts to slide the sump in and then botton everything back up.

The real issue with the build, is the height difference in the family room vs the floor level of the garage. It sends the tank stand so high in the garage, which means we will also have to build a mini deck/platform stand height for me to be even able to work inside the tank and what not... So are plan is to hit wall studs on each wall end to end and build a platform behind the tank unattached from the stand.. add a single 4x6 in center and add a set of steps on the sink side of the room to walk up onto platform. That is the only way I will be able to safely and efficiently take care of the tank and be able to reach all area of the tank inside.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yup, the sump is identical to the tank I am about to build. What are the dimensions of the big tank?

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Fantastic work Scotty!!! I look forward to following along!

One day maybe I'll even be doing a build like this of my own.

Whiskey
Thanks whiskey! It’s been a journey already to say the least. At this point, we are really just waiting for the tank to be complete and shipped. At the moment I am brainstorming the supply setup I want to do in tank.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Thanks whiskey! It’s been a journey already to say the least. At this point, we are really just waiting for the tank to be complete and shipped. At the moment I am brainstorming the supply setup I want to do in tank.
How long does it take to have a tank like that made? When do you expect it to be delivered?

The wait would kill me.

Whiskey

·
Registered
263 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Whiskey
It is…I wish I was kidding. I needed a place for 6 months. Two girls in my class had a two bedroom. I rented their 6’x4’ storage closet to sleep in. The plug and light switch were in the hall. I’d much rather be one of your fish.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
It is…I wish I was kidding. I needed a place for 6 months. Two girls in my class had a two bedroom. I rented their 6’x4’ storage closet to sleep in. The plug and light switch were in the hall. I’d much rather be one of your fish.
Man!!! At least you had your own "room" I guess? My first place was something like 400 Sq Foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath and we jammed 4 people in there. Let's just say it was an experiance.

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
How long does it take to have a tank like that made? When do you expect it to be delivered?

The wait would kill me.

Whiskey
They gave me a 2 month and 15 day window. I ordered during their Christmas in July sale so the volume was high and they are a reputable builder.

Gave me time to get all the build done without having a massive tank in the way, so it kind of worked out. Tank should be here in about 2 weeks

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
They gave me a 2 month and 15 day window. I ordered during their Christmas in July sale so the volume was high and they are a reputable builder.

Gave me time to get all the build done without having a massive tank in the way, so it kind of worked out. Tank should be here in about 2 weeks
Let the countdown begin!!!

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, as promised…. Here are the pictures of some more progress we made today!
I got the ro/di unit mounted and plumbed upstairs in the fish room, and I’m currently getting my totes filled up!
we also were able to get the platform and steps built and I must say, it was a challenge to accomplish the pitch for the steps in relation to the space we had left in the room! But I was okay with the steep steps, they shouldn’t be an issue for me for a long time…. I’m 30 and should be feeling strong for a long time from now I’m hoping lol. Also mounted a switched light under the tank stand and man she is bright! Feelings like I’m just about ready! Just want to paint the plywood top and panel the open joists above the tank!
Shelf Wood Shelving Rectangle Floor
Wood Beam Wood stain Hardwood Shelving

Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Wall

Tap Plumbing fixture Sink Product Wood

Wood Shelving Floor Stairs Flooring

41 - 60 of 70 Posts