The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
What’s up everyone!
Been a busy couple days! We managed to get the fish room completely built minus the interior walls, which I’m exploring my options on. Budgeting is my friend lol. Anyways the room took form and the insulation is up! Opened the hvac new venting up and the room cooled perfectly. I still want to install a timed ceiling exhaust fan to route some of the moisture outside from the upper half of the ten ft high room. Do you guys think this will be necessary?
Don’t mind the one piece of falling insulation lol…

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
With having a supply and return in there from my home hvac… would a bathroom vent create negative pressure?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Wasn't thinking about AC return air.
But do you want salt air running through your AC coils?

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And now this has come to an age long discussion on the effects of fish room air ran through a homes hvac system…. There are endless amounts of mixed reviews on this topic.
I have come to the conclusion that I do not feel that salt travels within humidity that causes the rusting damage everyone assumes.. but it’s the sheer fact of the INTENSE humidity that large freshwater and especially saltwater tanks make that causes the damage in itself when not addressed appropriately.

I think that I will be running a dehumidifier in the fishroom to help control the humidity. That paired with my hvac system should be just fine. I am hoping at least. Air exchangers aren’t always the best case scenario in a state like PA when temps swing from 5 degrees to 100degrees seasonally.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
There are endless amounts of mixed reviews on this topic.
I have come to the conclusion that I do not feel that salt travels within humidity that causes the rusting damage everyone assumes.. but it’s the sheer fact of the INTENSE humidity that large freshwater and especially saltwater tanks make that causes the damage in itself when not addressed appropriately.
OK, my 2 cents ("Miss that old 2-cents icon.").....
I spend my days working on boats around the sea coast, and I don't think I have ever seen a single AC unit on a boat go bad because of 'salt air'. SALT WATER on the other hand is probably the biggest killer. But being exposed to the salt air I think you'd be good.

Hmmmmmm, what camp am I in saying that? 🤔
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Jerry if'n I wasn't 'living the dream', and playing on the water every day, AND I was smart enough to think about it, I would have brought up the same concerns. The 'marine environment' is TOUGH, but like you know it's the 'salt spray' that's the culprit. The 'air' just makes you devastatingly handsome like me! 😁
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just touched base with Acrylic Creations, the tank build is moving along. They received all the acrylic for the tank last week and are now in the cutting stage. They let me know there are still a few tanks in front of mine but the forcasted ETA of completion is still around 9/16/21!

We are moving along with the fish tank room build just fine. Cut the drywall out yesterday finally and will be installing a new header to carry the load bearing wall above the tank. We are using 2x8 trippled up for the beam to carry, should not be an issue.

Then I will be able to work on the electrical. Probably will supply the room with a tandem single square d breaker with a 30amp and 20amp load. I want to be able to run my tank heaters on their own circuit so I never run into breakers tripping from spikes etc etc.

·
Administrator
47,200 Posts
Look at Motorslaves old big tank build threads, He did pretty much same thing and had a mego flow Humidity flow system in Redding California, Humidity activated with a 240+ tanks and and a huge sum and 100 gallon mixing tak fir water changes. Salt creep is an equipment killer

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Getting there guys!
Water tanks in place, sink installed, header in to carry the load bearing wall, just need to build the stand and run electrical!
So far looking great!

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After some long talks after seeing how high the tank will sit in the fish room, we also concluded that a platform with a set of steps will need built directly behind the tank. We will basically build a mini deck, with the floor at bottom tank level so working in the tank is easy and doesn’t involve a ladder to do the daily maintenance. Plan on it only being about 2 ft wide, so it won’t take up the entire fish tank room. I chose to give up some space vs carting around a ladder and possibly falling while trying to work on the tank. Grab bars will be installed in the ceiling studs above the tank to help me lean efficiently without leaning on the tank for support.

·
16,599 Posts
THANKS DOUG.....I was scratching me head to think of a response.....THAT'S IT!

Makes ya just want to roll your sleeves up and go build one yer'self doesn't it now? 🤔 😁
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
😯o_O.......We're being humbled right here folks!
Hack

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
You might consider a bar the full length of the tank at about the level of the tank top. Just in case you loose your balance and do fall.

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You might consider a bar the full length of the tank at about the level of the tank top. Just in case you loose your balance and do fall.
That’s actually a very good idea. Like a protective lean bar! Yes I believe that is definitely happening too! Thanks

21 - 40 of 70 Posts