The Reef Tank banner
261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I’ve run all kinds of external skimmers, lifereef, MRC reef octopus and a few others and never had a leak. Seems like trying to change the design and place pumps in the skimmer itself would just create an additional area for possible leak and may affect the performance in a negative way.
I may be missing what it is in what you are wanting to do.
so the best possible way to do this is to run a true external setup. That would mean 6 holes need drilled and tapped into the body. Two for intake and two for supply of skimmer pumps and then two for the supply and feed of return pump feed water to body and then the exit

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
On design I’m no expert, I never built one and only used manufacture skimmers. The think you are making sounds like a beast. Have you looked at the ? cost of a skimmer made by Jeff at life reef or a high end skimmer from reef octopus or MRC.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
so the best possible way to do this is to run a true external setup. That would mean 6 holes need drilled and tapped into the body. Two for intake and two for supply of skimmer pumps and then two for the supply and feed of return pump feed water to body and then the exit
I don't know about drilled and tapped. I think the thin wall would not hold threads well enough. I would rather us a UniSeal in the worst case, or better yet glue a fitting to the side that gives good support and leak protection.

This might be something that isn't worth building like VWD was illuding to. There is allot of R&D that goes into the right amount of air for neck height, and size, the right flowthrough, water level, skimmer cup edge height etc. You could fiddle and get it right, but it's not as simple as many other DIY projects in this hobby.

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I don't know about drilled and tapped. I think the thin wall would not hold threads well enough. I would rather us a UniSeal in the worst case, or better yet glue a fitting to the side that gives good support and leak protection.

This might be something that isn't worth building like VWD was illuding to. There is allot of R&D that goes into the right amount of air for neck height, and size, the right flowthrough, water level, skimmer cup edge height etc. You could fiddle and get it right, but it's not as simple as many other DIY projects in this hobby.

Whiskey
the body wall width is a quarter of an inch industrial pvc! It’s a 10 inch wide body. Drilling and trapping and using plumbers tape is the safest bet. Fine thread tapping.

I will let you guys know how it turns out. A compatible skimmer would cost about 3800$ and I’ll have about 800 into mine

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Make sure to post pictures of the progress!! I'm curious to follow your process, although I probably won't have a ton of useful advice in this area. I actually have a really nice external skimmer sitting up in my attic. It's an Avast Black Perl with the collection container and the swabbie kit to automatically clean the neck. It's rated for way more than my current one is, but the pump on it is locked up, and I don't like the pump it uses as much as I like the DC pump my Reef Octopus uses. You might just inspire me to retrofit what I have!

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Make sure to post pictures of the progress!! I'm curious to follow your process, although I probably won't have a ton of useful advice in this area. I actually have a really nice external skimmer sitting up in my attic. It's an Avast Black Perl with the collection container and the swabbie kit to automatically clean the neck. It's rated for way more than my current one is, but the pump on it is locked up, and I don't like the pump it uses as much as I like the DC pump my Reef Octopus uses. You might just inspire me to retrofit what I have!

Whiskey
oh I sure will post pics.

I just need to muster up the courage to spend 500$ on the two psk 4000 Venturi pumps. Lol.

I would of already got the pumps. But I ram across a gentleman on Facebook parting ways with an aqua ultraviolet 120w uv sterilizer system… with aqua transformer and all…. He only wants 200$ for it but it needs new bulbs and quartz sleeves. It’s a 3 tube unit… and I contacted aqua ultraviolet to see what’s it’s rated for… and it good for up to 1000g saltwater tank….. The unit new is 2200$ ! I am getting that from him next week! Gotta space out the spending lol!

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Well guys,

I just did it…. Purchased the two skimmer Psk adv 4000s. Amazon prime… should have them this week…

now onto figuring out plumbing size, emergency relief drain in cup, to sump, and getting the drill taps. Probably will set this skimmer in a brute bin that plumbed into a drain in case of it ever overflowing or leaking

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
drilled and tapped 1 inch threaded fittings getting done! Man…. It was a struggle, needed a drill press badly. Lol

but I took my time and stepped up in drill bit sizes like 10 times! Jeez.

I chose to pvc solvent the fittings in with a gracious amount of solvent… they should NEVER leak.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

White Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Cylinder

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
Hand Finger Microphone Trigger Thumb

Can’t wait to see that thing work. Did you check into if Mazzei Venturi would work. I had in my 36 inch lifereef skimmer. Jeff at lifereef sells them. He recommends on large skimmers.

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
View attachment 244368
Can’t wait to see that thing work. Did you check into if Mazzei Venturi would work. I had in my 36 inch lifereef skimmer. Jeff at lifereef sells them. He recommends on large skimmers.
I did see these. They all have the same basic design, this options was cheaper. I matched the same orifice size (1/4 inch) of the stock submersible venturis the pumps came with. Should work well!

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Oh man that thing is looking good!!! I can't wait to see it in action. Are you planning a automatic neck cleaner so you don't need to take the cup off all the time? Or are you just going to get in there with a baby bottle brush or something?

Whiskey
I’ll most likely just clean when needed. The cup is gonna be plumbed to my sink drain so I won’t need to worry about the skimmer cup so often

261 - 280 of 289 Posts