The Reef Tank banner
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
They do and will take even longer hair algae then snails or other animals. Urchins are good but can topple rock and in an acrylic tank I don’t want them on the viewing panels.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Snails and hermits will help a ton with the algae too. Most of this is just the ugly phase though, I probably wouldn't start with GFO yet, I would probably ride it out. Or at least that's what I did on my 20G I'm finishing right now. Added more snails and waited.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Yea I chose to do that, seems the snails and hermits and sea hare and emeralds are really helping.

the algae seems to be losing its color and becoming opaque. I think it’s on its way out.
Yeah, that's a great sign! It may have hit it's limit and burned itself out.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
It’s not like that here in south Louisiana. I was at my favorite lfs yesterday and like always he has most every tang along with gem and yellow. Yellow are 200 and about 21/2 inches. It maybe easier for shops to buy them wholesale with just a local market buying. But the online get them but sell out super fast.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Hate to say it but for that size it’s a good price nowadays. Since the ban on wild caught yellow tangs the once cheap tangs is one of the more expensive. Don’t think they are going to lift the ban anytime soon. So captive bred are driving the cost up.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
You can get really small ones from biota for maybe 150. About an inch in size and still slightly transparent. The larger they get the more you pay.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts