The Reef Tank banner
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
I have never used a kale stirrer, but think if you get a good one it would work best. Check out the ones from avast marine works. They look pretty good, great customer service and price looks good
I’m liking the k2. Probably will go with that since the total system im running is hovering around 600 gallons total

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Does anyone know if these venturis will work for my external diy skimmer ? I could really feed air to the sicce psk 4000’s (two) with these 1/4 inch orifice venturis I feel.

My only concern would be the sicce psks not producing enough pressure to create the effect of a 1/4 inch Venturi…. And not push water out the air draw line

1/4 inch Venturi
i finallllyyyyyyy got ahold of sicce, they got me two in line sicce built venturis that can be used externally with their psk4000 model skimmer pump! That will make things much easier down the road for me when I finish my custom skimmer ! Can’t wait for that, it’s gonna be a monster skimmer

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
I've had the Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer, it worked fine. I extended the input water tube down further and modified the stir stick a little bit but it worked well. I struggled with putting water through it too fast causing slurry to get into the tank, but changing to a Parasitotic ATO pump resolved that, and creating a feed mode which kept ATO off for 2 hours after filling. The reason that I wouldn't go this route again though was because my topoff quantities varied from day to day and this caused my levels to fluxuate. I also didn't have a reliable way to know when the slurry mix was exhausted, PH isn't a reliable indicator, and my Salinity Probe on the Apex would change readings when the T5's came on. Since the amount of water going through it was variable time was also not a reliable measure. This also hurt stability of the solution.

If I do Kalk again it will be manual.

Whiskey

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I've had the Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer, it worked fine. I extended the input water tube down further and modified the stir stick a little bit but it worked well. I struggled with putting water through it too fast causing slurry to get into the tank, but changing to a Parasitotic ATO pump resolved that, and creating a feed mode which kept ATO off for 2 hours after filling. The reason that I wouldn't go this route again though was because my topoff quantities varied from day to day and this caused my levels to fluxuate. I also didn't have a reliable way to know when the slurry mix was exhausted, PH isn't a reliable indicator, and my Salinity Probe on the Apex would change readings when the T5's came on. Since the amount of water going through it was variable time was also not a reliable measure. This also hurt stability of the solution.

If I do Kalk again it will be manual.

Whiskey
I also have had the most consistent levels in the past when using kalk in a gravity drip style setup with a sealed top. Only issue was getting the drip rate right, takes a lot of testing initially.. but once I had it dialed in, I was solid until I added more coral of course….
I am terrified of auto dosers, had to many friends nuke their tanks because of a doser overdosing

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
The drip system is good. Works good, I had trouble with the tip clogging up every so often, but I think that was also an issue with my calcium reactor. I have a MRC 6 I haven’t used in years . May put back in service sometime

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Got two clownfish and a bicolor basslet a couple weeks ago! they are nice fish to get a good solid system running. I will buy all my tangs at the same time when I chose to add more fish in a month or so…. Fish are hard to find right now it seems

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I was wondering on that size tank. I have crazy flow in my 100. But it BB and I hardly have anything collect on the rock or bottom.
Yea If I turn on the pumps up to 100% I think it would rip corals flesh…. All the pumps together are way to powerful on 100% and the return pump has tremendous velocity

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
NICE! (y)

Was that a 'package' Scotty, and for what size? Looks great to me, but like keeping track so we can assist other folks. The Sea hare I didn't have any luck with.....a very cool creature, and always played 'Where's Waldo' with him every morning on here. But sadly after about a month he was no more. I wish you much better luck.
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Yea the sea hares can definitely be tricky. My father gave me a 80$ Gift card to “that fish place”. Which is local too me. They had a 20% off livestock sale going on, so I just built my own pack. Total it was 376$ I believe but then the 20% off and the 80$ gift helped me out a lot on that bill

201 - 220 of 245 Posts