The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say how happy I am to finally have enough stability in life again to get back into the reef tank hobby as I have missed it SO MUCH!! Life can always throw you around like a ragdoll and it sure did to me. Things in my life are much better now (married my best friend and now have a daughter!) and we have a solid single family home in which I am now able to finally build a dream tank (literally)!!

I want this thread to be mainly for documenting my tanks life, growth and all the ups and downs I will face along the way... and of course the build to get it going.

I finally mustered up the courage to pull the trigger on a custom built acrylic tank from ACRYLIC CREATIONS during their Christmas in July sale. My wife and I (well lets be honest here, my wife mainly lol) decided on a 480g with the dimensions of 96x32x36!!!! This worked out pretty good as I had a rather new 125 long tank that I will be converting into a sump!

After we decided on the footprint of the tank and the location of where we wanted it in our home..... I began to gameplan the build and also started tearing down drywall to see what needs rerouted in the wall the tank will be housed in..... and well... there is some major HVAC work that will need to be done along with some electrical work of course.

I look forward to being able to frolic in my own journey with you guys again!!! Talk to everyone soon!

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,014 Posts
OOOOOoohhhhh.......so cool Scotty! BUILD THREADS are the heart n soul of this place......Looking forward to see you go through this.
Hack

·
16,014 Posts
I look forward to being able to frolic in my own journey with you guys again!!! Talk to everyone soon!
....... 🤔 .....Uhhhhhhh, we're moving past 'soon', heading towards 'NOT soon'.....:ROFLMAO:

I hope perhaps you'll be the catalyst that motivates others to get back in the game......lot of Folks around here, 'regulars', hint n tease of 'maybe.......'....We need fresh life......we need more a splish'n and a splash'n action!
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For sure guys! We have begun blueprinting designs for the tank stand and how we must reroute all the hvac externally out of the walls and then back in all contained in the fish room. Also I promised the wife that we would be building everything so it is easily removable down the road in life many years from now if we ever need to move and sell. Although it isn’t in the agenda, my wife always wants backup plans!

The current situation lol!

·
16,014 Posts
I finally mustered up the courage to pull the trigger on a custom built acrylic tank from ACRYLIC CREATIONS during their Christmas in July sale. My wife and I (well lets be honest here, my wife mainly lol) decided on a 480g with the dimensions of 96x32x36!!!! This worked out pretty good as I had a rather new 125 long tank that I will be converting into a sump!

After we decided on the footprint of the tank and the location of where we wanted it in our home..... I began to gameplan the build and also started tearing down drywall to see what needs rerouted in the wall the tank will be housed in..... and well... there is some major HVAC work that will need to be done along with some electrical work of course.
I missed the 'IN WALL' mention before.....

MAN... 🤔 ....I need more pop corn n soda for THIS!
This will be epic!
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got ahold of two food grade heavy duty totes (275 gallon each) for my ro water container and my salt mixing container! Two of these one time use pressure washed out for 150$. What a steal

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got some updates on preparation on the build!

got done with the needed major hvac modifications! Moved some HVAC feed and returns around. Going to be supplying air and returning air from the fish room using an unneeded extra feed and return in a bedroom upstairs. Not to worried the tank room humidity as I will be installing a timed bathroom vent fan exhausting the room outdoors in increments throughout the day. Slightly higher rated cfm exhaust fan should do the trick ran through the side of the garage with likely a dryer vent on the outside wall.

my wife and I also had a talk about long term (15-20 years) plans if we would ever want to sell the house and move…. We both agreed that the fish room in the garage needs To be build with cheaper supplies, and be very easy to be removed without major construction if/when needed. So I plan on keeping the cost low and avoiding drywall because finishing it wouldn’t make sense and drywall gets so messy. I will be using fresh faced r19 insulation in the new interior walls… and will be installing moisture resistant insulation board in the inside and then probably just cheap 4x8 garage approved sheeting. Won’t look overly fancy but it’ll hold heat and cool just fine. Not trying to spend a fortune on something in the garage per say especially when it’ll need removed down the road in life.

rock on!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you place the sink on a wall that will stay the sink can be left in place you take out the fish room.
A sink the garage to clean up is often a good idea.

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you place the sink on a wall that will stay the sink can be left in place you take out the fish room.
A sink the garage to clean up is often a good idea.
Yea, I have been throwing the idea around of having a cheap deep utility free standing sink in the fish room, but I am very worried that space will be limited. The room will only be about a 8x10. Within the room I will have to be housing the tank on a heavy duty stand and the sump under the main tank, the two massive 275g stacked water totes that are about 40inch x 49inch footprint... its going to be tight in there. Due to the location on the interior garage door entry into the home, thats as big as I could go. I can either run a cold water line into the fish room, or I could just get a very long ro/di line and run it into the fish room from the basement mounted ro/di unit that I am already using for another small salt tank I have running... it has a mechanical shut off valve so all I would need is an on/off valve in the fish room before it enters the water storage tote and then the mechanical float shut off valve in the tote...

I dont know if i really want to go through installing drain piping in the fish room in the garage.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yeah, a drain would be a pain.
I would definitely go with the ro/di line. If possible find a way to pump waste water to a drain in the basement or somewhere. I hate hauling water.

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yea to be honest. I actually already planned on running a drain pipe into the basement through the plate wall and then y’ing into our sink drain piping. So actually it wouldn’t be terrible to just run a cold supply as well and isolate everything in the fish room. (Install a wash sink and bring the ro unit into there)

sounds like a good idea to me!

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so I revised the floor plan of the fish room and I feel as if this will work well. I did have to negotiate a bit with my wife to lose another 48"x42" of garage space to find a better home that's somewhat tucked away for the RO/DI totes as they are pretty massive and left me with no room in the fish room. She eventually gave me the go ahead ! We will be finishing the walls with t1-11/2x4's/r19 faced insulation/ and the interior walls will be finished with insulation board. I am okay with the inside of the fish room walls being blue and looking kinda unfinished.. it wont bother me one bit.. the insulation board will provide a air tight room basically and is water resistant.

heres my final thoughts:

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone, just got 7 of these bad boys in the mail yesterday!!! Going to give them a shot! They have wonderful reviews online all over the place by fellow reef keepers, pretty much are replicas of reef breeders old photon model which I have used before in a 30 inch tall tank (and could only go about 60% power before burning coral)... have 90 degree optics to carry light to the bottom of the 36" tall tank... I am hoping they work well!! 7 of these bad boys should be plenty of light. I plan on mounting them long ways from front to back of the tank as each one covers 30"x24". They are very very well built!! If these aren't enough to light the tank and provide the softies and LPS I plan on having on the bottomish of the tank... I will explore adding some metal hallides of some sort to the setup.. but for now, I will explore how well these do, as my old 220g that was 30inch tall needed only reef breeder photons (which these are basically replicas of) to thrive... we will see!

·
16,014 Posts
Scotty, are they the 165, or 300 watt? I was soooooo on the sea saw when I recently replaced my lights, going with 2 of the 300's or the (2) 4'-8 bulb t5's I did go with. Still thinking about the change, purely on the grounds of the coast of replacing bulbs....,.,.,which I do 1/2 every 6 months then in total will run them for 18 months. BEAUTIFUL LIGHTS, but thinking the Viparspectras are enticing.
Hack

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got 7x of their 165W fixtures. They are 55 leds per light at 3w an led and 90degree optics! They should be able to punch enough light down 36 inches I’m thinking. My old photon 24 was also the same specs and they ran my 30 inch tank no problem at only a max of about 75 to 80% power max. We will see how it goes because I never had a 36” tall before. I’m thinking 7 of these bad boys should just about do it though. I’ll just have to be diligent with placing coral that need more light than others!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts