The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were looking at a new house, and instead of trying to keep two seperate reef systems, we talked about combining our tanks into a larger tank. Only one problem that I can see. The new tank will have enough room to give our various damsels and clownfish new territories. However we both have one tang. (Both were rescued from a PetCo tank and one fin in the grave). I have a scopas, and she has a yellow tang. They were in the same tank at the pet store btw. They are both at least 2 years old in our tanks and the new tank will be about 125 gals. Will I have two tangs go at it? I am thinking that this is the case but was wondering if the color difference will make up for the appearances being alike.

Ray

·
REALLY excited to be here
579 Posts
You could go with the general idea, which says that this will not work. But I have had a 2" Blue Regal, 3" Yellow tank, and a 3" purple red sea tang in the same 40 gal Breeder tank. I know, I know, I am in the processes of getting a bigger tank. Right now they are small though. They went at it for about 1.5 to two days and then all was well. The purple still flexes his muscle every once in a while but there is no other problems. I think that the trick will be to put them in at the same time and they will figure out the rest. Turning the lights off might help as well.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am hoping that putting them at the same time in new enviroment will cure some of the aggressiveness. Plus they are getting a lot more room to boot. They both eat from our hands and would hate to lose either one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hear you can mix Ritalin with your fish food, and it'll take care of these issues...:funny: :rolleyes:

Honestly, if they're both introduced to a new (large) tank at the same time, there's plenty of rock work, and perhaps a few other fish are tossed in at the same time... they should be plenty stressed and leave each other alone. At least for a while.

I like your idea about combining two larger tanks into one. The problem is (I know from experience), that the two empty tanks in the basement won't stay empty for long.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a purple, Scopus, and a Sailfin in the same tank and they all get along fine now. The Scopus are long time tankmates then I got the purple, had to catch the Scopus and Sailfin cause they were beating up on the purple. I put both down stairs in my fish only while the purple got used to his surroundings then added the Sailfin after 5 days and the Scopus 2 days later. Thay have all been back in the tank together for about a month now and get along even eating off the same veggie clip without fighting. Two weeks ago I tried to add an Achilles Tang but he didn't make it for even 24 hours of their abuse before he died. I was unable to catch any of them to help the Achilles out. The Achilles was considerably larger the other tangs so I thought it would be ok. I was wrong. Good Luck.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully, it will go okay. I have a black ocellaris clown on order from jorge at Aquarium Showcase. I wanted him to mate with a huge flower anemone, but lisa has a condy with a clarkii clown so I am guessing that is the next hurdle, After making the tangs get along.
Actually when it is all said and done, the my tank will turn into a FOWLR tank, and Lisa's drilled out tank will be a refugium, with both of our sumps becoming extra tanks.
My other question for combining tanks, We both have skimmers (SeaClone 100), that are rated for smaller tanks. IF I run both skimmers will I get double the ratings. I figure to run both until we can get a monster skimmer, but setting up the fish room and the ro units for the new house comes first. I am hoping that with a refugium, Two Seaclone 100 (One is an older model modified with a cut riser and air stone, the other is that new one like at Jenn's shop) should be able to handle a 125 gal I am thinking.

Ray

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ray1214 said:

Actually when it is all said and done, the my tank will turn into a FOWLR tank, and Lisa's drilled out tank will be a refugium, with both of our sumps becoming extra tanks.
Ray
Does this mean you'll be leaving us for the Atlanta-FOWLR-Club?:D

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, My main tank is still a reef tank. Just my current main tank will be a FOWLR. (She wants a lion fish)

Ray

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think also that both tangs will come to their respective owners...my scopas to me and the yellow to lisa, but they both seem to dislike anyone else in the respective tanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had luck with a yellow tang and a regal blue tang in the same 45 gallon tank. I didn't even add them at the same time! There was plenty of habitat available, so, we had no squables. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.