The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw this scooter blenny at the LFS and had to have him. So far he seems great. I have lots of bugs he seems to be eating. What else do they eat? I don't think I will run out of the bugs anytime soon but should I add anything else? I also got a sally lightfoot crab.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Firstly - the Scooter is a Dragonet, not a Blenny as far too many LFS "advertise". (No offence meant - it's just a huge pet peeve of mine in this industry that Dragonets are more often referred to as "gobies" and "blennies" and they are neither. Gobies and blennies are generally easy to keep, and I think it's "false advertising".)

I hope you have a 75-gallon tank with 100 or more pounds of live rock, established for 6 months or more, because those are the conditions that will increase the little dude's chances for survival.

Most of them only eat live food - in a smaller tank, less established or with less live rock, they will deplete the pod population faster than it can reproduce, and they slowly starve to death. So, to answer your question about what else they eat - generally speaking, nothing. The occasional specimen will take to prepared foods but that's more blind luck than anything else.

I have one that was shipped to me in error, about 14 months ago - he's been fat and happy in my coral system since then but I have never seen him take prepared foods. I had a mandarin in another of my coral systems for 3 years - same thing - only ate pods - but it's a 350-g system so there was enough to go around.

Please - research your fish choices *before* you buy.

Respectfully
Jenn

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I feel horrible. I am familiar with other blennies which is why I thought it would be okay. But now I know he's not a blenny. The tank is over 6 months old but only 24 gallons with about 40 lbs lr and 30 lbs sand. I know there are lots of pods cause they are everywhere you look. I quess I'll see if my buddy wants it she has a big tank.

·
5,916 Posts
You might want to speak with the LFS who sold it to you and see if they will take it back for credit.

IMO no LFS should sell such a creature unless they are certain that the purchaser has an appropriate environment for it.

While I do believe that the ultimate responsibility lies with the hobbyist, it's just good business for a store to ask questions before bagging up a live specimen. IMO they should take it back for credit... but I can't speak for another dealer. One of the reasons I don't stock critters like that is because they are too easily bought on impulse. :(

Talk to the shop - hopefully they'll take it back.

Jenn

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called after reading your reply. They don't do credit. They'll take it back but at my loss. I'd rather see it go to someone who I know has a tank to support it than to that store that will turn around and sell it to someone else like me. I wont be going there again either!

·
5,916 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that :( Puts a black eye on all LFS.

Some will only take it back at wholesale value, or charge a restocking fee. Personally I think that's reasonable. Some will give full value - I think that should be up to the discretion of the store - depending on the circumstances, and if the fish is returned healthy.

Some shops won't give credit for fish they didn't originally sell, or particularly if it's a fish that isn't easily resellable. I have a bunch of massive Oscars that have been "donated" (I didn't sell them originally)... people love 'em when they're cute but when they weigh 3 lbs they lose their charm... I don't give credit for stuff like that because I'll likely have them forever and they eat me out of house and home... I've had people drop them off with me after being to several other stores who refused them. I'm at a point where I have to refuse them now - I have no more room! :eek:

But for something like that, IMO it's just good business to work with a customer. I'm sorry that your LFS didn't see it that way... ends up being their loss in the long run - they got your $20 or so for that fish but if you don't return they've lost much more potential business :(

I do hope you can find him a suitable home with another hobbyist. They are great little fish if their needs can be provided for.

Jenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts