The Reef Tank banner

scooter blenny died

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGulfBandit 
#1 ·
My tank has been set up for just over a year and a scooter blenny was one of my first fish - he was always active and ate well. He stopped eating, got a little skinny and died. No other issues in tank. I bought another and it died within a week - now, granted, he was small and perhaps fragile. I'm guessing that this is complete coincidence but was wondering if others have had problems keeping scooter blennies. Is there any chance that my fairly new explosion of spaghetti worms in the live sand bed are not allowing enough food to remain for the blenny?

#2 ·
I've never had a skooter (or spaghetti worms) but have been eyeballing the fish for future potential. They are essentially dragonettes, which do tend to strongly favor live foods. If the spaghetti worms are prolific competitors for the same food source, I'd say your hypothesis has merit.

Edit: I got distracted by the researching phase again, and found this article. It leads me to believe that spaghetti worms are at least not directly competing with the scooter, although misidentified hair worms may be competing with the food sources for food...http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/index.php

#4 ·
I don't have a scooter blenny, but I do know that they eat the same foods as a mandarin. Live rotifers and copepods. how established was your tank? dragonettes can decimate a pod population in only a few months. If you decide to try again, try to seed the tank with a few bottles of live rotifers. wait a month or two to let them reproduce. The first blenny may have wiped them all out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.