945 Posts
Well as right now i dont have anything for Oct
but this is what everone wants for
11 Nov maybe EdenGardens again with election of next year's officers
9 Dec could be a holiday feast

·
Registered
945 Posts
Some one put down that we have one at Sallys but i will have to see what Sally thinks of that.........I dont think she wants 40 or 50 people at her house.............(Havent we gone through this before)...............lol.............Any ideas anyone were we havent meet yet...........

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If we have the elections at Eden Gardens on Nov. 11th I would probably be willing to bring my Nano to the meeting. That way we could have a small tank presentation so the meeting would be more than just boring election stuff.

I would need to be able to gain access to Eden Gardens earlier in the day to setup the Nano and give it time to clearup before the meeting. It's really not that difficult to move --- only takes approx 1 hour to pack up and maybe 45 min to setup. An hour or two after setup it should basically be clear and all the corals -- out and happy.

Charles

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be working on something with the Fish Store and More this week. Unless Sally pipes up this week, I will shoot for OCtober. Maria, can you send Sally an email and ask if she wants to host and if she does, she has to commit to the month so we can get the last few months filled. Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Okydoky.............
So Nov i will set up for Eden Gardens
and Dec we will have something for the kids.......
What about Jan am i suppose to set that up or is that for the next meeting person.........

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Who do we have for October? Anyone? Let's get the rest of the year taken care of...just give me one month, either Oct or December and we will be set.

I would think since we are having elections in November, the new meeting coordinator would set up January.....we will play it by ear after the elections. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I know this is jumping the gun and a little OT.

Next year we get a whole new round w/ LFS meetings.

I also know that Marine Fish is very interested in doing a "Second Annual Fraging Night" for the Feb. meeting. It was a very sucessful membership booster and should be used as such for next year. Just wanted to throw this out for all concerned since I know some people are still going to be around next year.

I also think Sally is not a really good canidate. We have gone over this on at least two seperate ocassions. It really comes down to her not wanting a big crowd and we really can't gaurantee that for a general meeting (might only be 20 -- might be 40).

Like before ---- I suggest we have a special weekend meeting w/ limited seeting by RSVP at Sally's. This will also give us another meeting for thoses weekend only people we rarely hear from ;)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with Charles on all accounts.

Anyway,, this is what I am getting at with this thread....with the thread from or about FS&M, I think we should have a meeting there even if we move the meeting to a different night, say Wednesday....this would allow us to get our feet wet with the store and they can also see the lively group we have. I think it could be a win win situation for the club and a new potential sponsor. I will be talking to Bill and Troy this week....

I am shooting for October....anyone against moving one meeting to a Wed or another night?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem to move one general meeting a a weeknight other than tuesday. Most people won't be affected. Wednesday is probably a good night. Oct. sounds good to me.

Now if we can only get them to realize that customer service is whats giving them a bad rep. All the negative posts I have read all lead back to one thing --- No Customer service. But that is definatly getting OT --- Sorry.

Charles

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
c_k_kuehne said:
Now if we can only get them to realize that customer service is whats giving them a bad rep. All the negative posts I have read all lead back to one thing --- No Customer service. But that is definatly getting OT --- Sorry.

Charles
Back in 2000 I tried to buy my 120 from them. Their price for the tank and stand was $2400. MF and TRS were $800-900. I asked TFS&M if they could do better on the price and was told: "That's the price, take it or leave it". I haven't bought anything from them since.

I don't care much for the store but I'm not opposed to having a meeting there.:)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, I'm with Rick. I'm in Buckhead and have gone to the store occasionally and I've had several somewhat negative experiences there. I'll pick up something trivial like pH calibration solutions there but I'd much rather stick to our sponsors for anything major.

Maybe getting in touch with ARC would lead to them cleaning up their act...who knows? :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok every one i talked to Sally and she doesnt want to have a meeting in less we are in a bind so Andy u have Oct.........Now as far as Dec .....Charles u said something for the kids...........

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good going Andy.........Just think this year is almost under our belt
yeaaaaaaaaaaa................we will have to have a nice meeting for December maybe change it to a weekend so that if we take kids (which i dont have any that young........lol) they can stay out late.......

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
robsweet said:

Maybe getting in touch with ARC would lead to them cleaning up their act...who knows? :)
I'm not opposed to meeting at FS&M, and I have a good rapport with Bill & Troy, but do you really think that a few reef geeks getting together under their roof is going to change their policies? They know who we are, they have for almost 3 years now. They are not falling over themselves to impress us - because they don't need to.

FS&M is one of the most successful stores this town has ever seen, if not THE most successful. Jorge and Angela have a lot to do with that, since they owned it before they sold it to Bill & Troy - that is not because of any club or society - they have a niche market and they fill it - some people don't care that they have to pay more for this or that - they go there because they like the store and the service. Yes, they do provide excellent service - some have had a few issues breaking the ice, but I've never heard a bad word about Porter, for example. Please do not think for a minute that the club has the power to force that store or any store, to do anything.

If the invitation is open, we should graciously accept it, but to go in with the attitude that we're going to make them change their ways is not going to be conducive to long-term support from them. We're a group of what, 80 people from all over the state (and a few from out of state), versus their client base of what I would estimate is several thousand (based on my own knowledge of the workings of a LFS business) - we're a drop in the bucket. Please, let's remember that, and be appropriately respectful.

Jenn

·
Registered
422 Posts
It was, Andy. As an ARC member, I'll be polite and thank them for hosting a meeting. As a consumer, they've already pretty much lost my business.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
this is my experience with the fish store and more.they have everything under the sun as far as selection.some of there prices are higher based on atlanta market(fish) some of them are lower(soft corals and some inverts) live rock is beatiful and prices are more than fair. now whren i go there; i talk to porter his knowledge of the hobby is vast. not only that its a great store to just browse for a hobbiest.they have great show tanks and a saltwater pond worth checking out on there own. a couple of there tanks have been set up for close to ten years, that alone tells me they are really doing something right. on top of all that they have extremely healthy livestock. will i pay more to shop there? i have and i do

1 - 20 of 35 Posts