The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, whoever thought a sand bed was a good idea obviously hadn't seen mine. I've been siphoning it out and it comes in every color of nasty brown and green imaginable, and its only been there ~3 years. No wonder I have algae problems. This is disgusting. Just had to share that - disgusting. If you are wondering whether or not to take yours out or if you should put one it - my advice - RUN FAR and FAST!! (Oh yeah, and don't blow off your tank maintenance like I do - yuck! - that could have a lot to do with my problems too, but still... GROSS -OH...)

Whew! Feeling a lot better now that its off my chest!!! THanks.. :freak:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Sandbeds require maintenance just like everything else in the tank. Along with good flow to keep things from settling and siphoning a sandbed will give you several years of use. Now with that said.... you should replace a sandbed every few years as they are sinks for the nasties that are in the tank...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly how i felt.... my advice to you is if you REALLY want it, do it, then in 3 years when its as nasty as mine (well, maybe not AS nasty, you might take better care of it than I did,) you can make yourself a big mess and suck it all out again. its not a decision you are forced to live with. But I warn you, that beautiful white sb won;t stay that way for long - and that is why i got tired of it

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I'm not trying to start a DSB, vs SSB, vs BB debate here, just remarking that mine was awful, and I admittedly did not care for it as I should. Luckily, it was not deep and was not anoxic, so it was alright to take out.

I like SB's too, when they are pretty. Mine just WAS NOT!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL... not trying to start a debate here either ;) That's what the DSB thread in the think tank is for :)

There are ways to keep a clean white sandbed, but as stated, you have to maintain them... mine stay white simply because they are always being moved around by the powerheads and duning :)

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
anything in an aquarium will get gross without regular maintenance. but i use black sand for my sand bed. that way the things waiting for the clean up crew to get to it doesn't look so bad.

also, i clean my sand bed with a gravel vacuum from my freshwater set up every month. i try to take a little sand off the top and avoid my blue leg hermits, but i did send one on a ride he'll never forget...think augustus in charlie & the chocolate factory...:BlinkJC:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
I really want live sand, the look of a real ocean floor and all. Is it that bad?
this statement always drives me nuts. i am not picking on you in particular, it is just a statement that i see a lot that makes absolutely no sense to me. our boxes are so small compared to nature that in no way is there going to be a sand bed in the wild with a tiny rock sticking up out of it. the reefs themselves are rocks almost as high as you can see. one coral in the wild can easily be several times the size of even some of our biggest tanks.

if you want a sand bed than make a sand bed tank. with grasses and LPS corals lying on it.

if you want a reef tank, than just do LR and the corals. this would be the most natural looking.

sorry, soap box was yanked from underneath me. :D

G~

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
i like the look of a thin layer of sand, i'm not big on the bare glass bottom, i tried a pseudo starboard bottom once and it wasn't too bad... but my preference happens to be just enough sand to coat the bottom, only a few grains deep.

my sand bed appears to stay clean enough, it is not hard to stir up a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
if you want a sand bed than make a sand bed tank. with grasses and LPS corals lying on it.

if you want a reef tank, than just do LR and the corals. this would be the most natural looking.

G~
While I agree that the sand bed and the reeftop of SPS are far removed in nature, I don't believe that if you have sand in your tank then it is not a reeftank. I can agree that it is a closer approxiamation of the reeftop to not have sand as far as the mechanics of the system, but I would whole heartedly disagree that it looks more natural.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts