The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....so what should i have in it for a cleaning crew???

i have 2 turbo snails.. i just got em today.. not sure if they were the right ones to have.

so whats good for me to have in my 36g?

being that there seahorse safe'

oh yeah..i have 2 emerald crabs and one red one.. pet store said they should be fine... but ill get rid of em if i need to :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Turbo sails, astrea snails, naussarius snails, and trocherus snails (spelling?) are all good. I'd definetly go with at least 3 naussarius sails, and then a mix of the rest. I'd start with 10 total snails and work your way up from there if need be.

The only crab I turst is a scarlet reef hermit. Have had problems in my system with seahorses and emerald crabs. I thought they would be fine and they were for a bit but then, not so good.

I also like a pair of peppermint shrimp.

Do you have your rock and everything in there yet?

Pics?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have about 37 lbs of lr

i have 2 emeralds, 1 red crab, 1 anemone, 3 hermit crabs...

i dont think the hermit crabs will do anything bad..
the anemone ill get rid of before i have seahorses...
i can get rid of the crabs to..no big deal...
they have reall really pretty .....fire shrip i think she called em.. something like that..there a dark red...very beautiful.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only shrimp I like for horses are the peppermint shrimp. Cleaners and Blood or fire shrimp can harass IME and cause stress.

Tank looking good. nice work keeper.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys...

i dont need to have crabs...just making sure i have the "perfect" for the seahorses...

oh i forgot to tell you guys.. i seen the cutest most smallest pipefish in.
the pet store can get them in..but there not to big around here so he will order about 10 in.... but takes him a couple months to sell him. i mentioned i might be interested in pipefish and he goes i can get them in and sell them to you for a good price.. well im not no where near ready for them...but the darn thing was so cute..it was at most 2 inches long..very cool.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
next subject..... besides rocks and snails...

i was thinking of adding
Chaetomorpha Algae - Aquacultured
Kelp on Rock, Grape OR Kelp on Rock, Smooth Leaf

on this link.... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=26&pCatId=766

whats the red feathery stuff on the main page...under marine plants.. i dont see that pic but i like that stuff...

if this stuff isnt suitable for seahorses..what is?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
most of what you see is just going to be a variety of calupera. even the red stuff. all of the algae will be fine. as far as a starfish... you should look at brittle stars only, serpents and CC stars may turn predatory on the horses.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok...now i know this will start another topic...but keeping it peaceful and i hate to ask.its just easier since its my tank..this topic

so for a sump..im just about ready to start making it.
as for the refugium...should i have it... i want seahorses and mandarins

i know mandarins are the future..and so are the seahorses.. but whats best for what i want?

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you want to keep manderins then you should plan on a refugium.

Where the pipes janis?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
When it comes to manderins they really need a mature tank, You will only get hurt if you buy one , Your tank is way to new and will not be able to support it. I don't know that that size tank will supply the food for the maderin, plus he will be eating food that the seahorses like also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts