The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new little tank here at college because I miss being away from it. I have access to sand from the bahamas at my LFS in FL that could easily be shipped to me here in SC, but I am not sure. I have used it on my other tanks, and I use it for looks only, but I have been thinking about the 'southdown' play sand deal. Is there any opinions on what would be a better choice for my small setup?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you visit the Think Tank, make sure you have lots of time on you hands. I spent most of my spare time for over a week wading through all the info and opinions. In fact, I'm afraid I've fallen far behind in the disscussion and shudder to think of the added info that might be there! On the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

In the end it all seems to boil down to what YOU think looks best and proper tank care. I have SD in my tank (that I seeded with LS) and have yet to have a problem. :beer:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
CodeToad said:
I'm starting a new little tank here at college because I miss being away from it. I have access to sand from the bahamas at my LFS in FL that could easily be shipped to me here in SC, but I am not sure...
doode, you're at Clemson? I go there a lot to do research in the library. I dunno who is going to buy Bahamas sand for you in clemson pendleton or G'vlle, but I am sure you're going to pay dearly for it. HD in G'ville had Southdown at one time, there are enough folks there in the area to get you some Sand samples to get your tank seeded. Atlanta is only about100 miles from you down I-85 and there are plenty of good shops there.

I cannot give you an unbiased opinion on the sand bed, but I have them in all my tanks, and being this far from the ocean will make a tank that you're going to keep set up for 4 yrs of college a breee if you use a DSB in it. Especially if the tank is lagoonal.

hth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.