The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in charlotte nc do anyone know where i can find southdown sand or anything comparable i was told to buy kolorscape and wash well its the same any other ideas

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Southdown sand is like some mythical creature that everyone talks about but no one has seen in person. From what I understand the company that made it went out of business. Most people do the vinegar test with sand found at home depot or lowes to see if its predominantly calcium. Personally, I just bought some aragonite from caribsea.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
hng said:
Southdown sand is like some mythical creature that everyone talks about but no one has seen in person. From what I understand the company that made it went out of business. Most people do the vinegar test with sand found at home depot or lowes to see if its predominantly calcium. Personally, I just bought some aragonite from caribsea.
By no means is it some mythical creature. I've got 250lbs of it just waiting to go in my new tank. I've heard that the garden basics play sand from wallyworld is Aragonite.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
YES on aragonite sand at Wallyworld, not all of the stores have it, the ones that do will have it in the garden center. I will try to find the sku for the correct item. BTW, I have about 8 x 50 lb bags of Southdown still, GREAT STUFF, and it was around 4$ a bag two years ago. Currently the company has reorganized as www.cemex.com and is still selling the product under a variety of names (unfortunately I could not get anyone in their Jacksonville FL office to tell me anything...). I would venture to say that Wallyworld is getting the product from them, but that is idle speculation on my part with no known factual basis. When you buy playsand from WW, make sure that it dissolves with vinegar.

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Hmmm, so it's not some mythical creature? Maybe there IS such a thing as Southdown. Wish I had known before I shelled out $20 for a bag of Caribsea :freak:

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Also try searching for "Monterey Bay Sand" mostly on the west coast, but straight from the beach sand

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
hng said:
Hmmm, so it's not some mythical creature? Maybe there IS such a thing as Southdown. Wish I had known before I shelled out $20 for a bag of Caribsea :freak:
Heh! You should have reminded me about this while you were here, I would have shown you about a dozen bags I have left...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts