The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reding much about live vrs dry sand Im going to use dry sand to cut costs, but Im confused on where to get dry sand. Is the sand at your local Home Depot ok? Ive seen peolpe metion it but Im very un certain. Please clarify this so I can get my tank filled.

Thanks all Bill

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Whether the silica sand is "ok" or not depends on who you ask. The biggest thing people have told me about using araganite sand instead of silica sand is the "buffering" capacity of the calcium in the sand. The thing with the buffering is that the pH in the tank has to drop so low to get the calcium to dissolve that your tank is dead before the sand ever buffers the pH. The other issue was whether silica sand will "cut" sand sifters and such but looking at some araganite sand I have and some silica sand, I am not seeing that much difference in the grain shapes of the two as far as "cutting" ability. The biggest thing with silica sand is the sand storms you will get from it. The grains are smaller and thus get blown around a lot more than araganite sand does. I put silica sand in my 10G tank and within a week everything was covered with the sand. But, thats on a very very shallow tank. With a 225 and the depth of the tank, I don't think you will see as big an issue as I did with it.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I've used sillica playground sand in a cichlid tank before and it was ok, but I'm not sure how it would work in a reef tank. there was much less flow than most reef tanks would run. I have personally always bought dry oolitic argonite for my for my reefs at the LFS. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used sillica playground sand in a cichlid tank before and it was ok, but I'm not sure how it would work in a reef tank. there was much less flow than most reef tanks would run. I have personally always bought dry oolitic argonite for my for my reefs at the LFS. Just my 2 cents
thank you I appreciate everybodys remarks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would get the stuff from the LFS also, a dry aragonite based sand. You can get it online as well, but watch out for some of the places that charge extra shipping, it may be cheaper to get it at the LFS.
yep I was putting an order with Marine Depot for 350lbs of dry sand, shipping free bt $200 for special handling? WTF is that? I cancelled the order

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
yep I was putting an order with Marine Depot for 350lbs of dry sand, shipping free bt $200 for special handling? WTF is that? I cancelled the order
Your regular carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) won't take big heavy stuff like that so it has to go truck freight...most often trucking companies deliver to the back of truck too. Meaning they will open the back door and shove a pallet of sand at you...getting it out of the truck and in the house is your problem...tell your LFS what you want and they can order it and have it delivered with their normally scheduled deliveries...I've found this is the cheapest more effective way to do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your regular carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) won't take big heavy stuff like that so it has to go truck freight...most often trucking companies deliver to the back of truck too. Meaning they will open the back door and shove a pallet of sand at you...getting it out of the truck and in the house is your problem...tell your LFS what you want and they can order it and have it delivered with their normally scheduled deliveries...I've found this is the cheapest more effective way to do it.
great thanks thats the plan for next week!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
More importantly, wouldn't the use of silica sand cause a major Diatom outbreak?
It depends on how well you rinse the sand before using it. I put a silica sandbed in a 10G tank and never had a diatom bloom in it. Only major problem I had was the filter on it was blowing it around the tank causing a sand storm but that wasn't the type of sand as much as it being a 10G tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.