The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how everyone goes about cleaning their sand bed? I dont want a bunch of waste gathering in it. I have a python syphon hose and it seems it will suck up sand along with the waste and gets clogged. How do I clean it without pulling all my sand out?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,659 Posts
I used to use the little valve that is in the hose to partly restrict the flow going up the siphon tube so the sand doesn't go any more than 12 way up the large siphon part. This takes water out slower but it allows you to be more thorough. On top of that I also held the hose so I can kink it if sand starts getting too close to the top.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a bullet goby! he is in my tank for about 4 months and I never cleaned the sand. I also have nassarius snails and mithrax crabs.
My sand is very clean

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for input. I have a couple of conches and 1 turbo as well as some cleaner crabs. When I moved everthing to new tank my rock and sand appears to be cycling all over again so I want to get down in the bed so the bacteria doesnt get to bad.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12 to 24 qal. added 10 more lbs of cured live rock. I was told it would not cycle but now I know it does. I am doing frequent water changes to keep levels down. So far no spikes.

Could all the algae growth actually be from heat and stronger lighting? My temp was running at 84 but finally got it to stay around 78. That is a possibility I hadn't considered until now.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
jenajet said:
12 to 24 qal. added 10 more lbs of cured live rock. I was told it would not cycle but now I know it does. I am doing frequent water changes to keep levels down. So far no spikes.

Could all the algae growth actually be from heat and stronger lighting? My temp was running at 84 but finally got it to stay around 78. That is a possibility I hadn't considered until now.
The added lighting could very well be the culprit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts